News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Hiatus Hernia and Vagus Nerve Entrapment = Fibro?

Started by Noah_Scape, June 14, 2010, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah_Scape

Hiatus Hernia anyone?

I am wondering if any or all of us fine gentlemen here have Hiatus Hernias, even small ones, because some research says it could be related to Fibro due to the Vagus Nerve being pressed on.

This is about a condition known as "Vagus Nerve Imbalance/ Hiatal Hernia Syndrome". Mainstream medicine generally ignores this idea, although they do sometimes perform surgery on big hiatus hernias. It is just a few "rogue researchers" who claim that it is much of a problem. I think we all have to find these things out for ourselves, somehow.

Here is some of what I found out:

A hiatus hernia is where a bit of the stomach comes up above the diaphragm and creates a "bulb" there.

The slightest upward displacement of the stomach through the diaphragm disorders the Vagus Nerve; the amount of stomach protrusion is often irrelevant; any such protrusion causes major hyperexcitability of the Vagus Nerve.

Since the Vagus Nerve connects to many organs, problems can be many and varied. Some researchers say that it could be the cause of Fibro!! Even MCS  could be either caused or made worse with Hiatus Hernia.

Treatment for this is just basically "to pull the stomach down" [surgery is not very successfull].

Link to article>  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_241-242/ai_107201216/
Other links>   http://www.joyfullivingservices.com/hiatalhernia.html
               >  http://www.wellatlast.com/

PS - about my HH:
I was told that I had a hiatus hernia, but that was many years ago, and nothing was ever said or done about it since. I intend to get an x-ray to find out what it looks like now that I read this.

augoldminer

The Vagus Nerve can be involved.

It is in my case ether from the fibro or from the sarcoidosis.

I have sleep apnea, bradycardia, gerd,

My heart rate runs in the 50s
My heart rate does not increase appropriately in response to physical activity.
When i do moderate intensity  exercise i feel exhausted and light headed.
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

Noah_Scape

Thx for replying!!  :clapping:

Sorry to hear of your bradycardia and apnea and GERD - Do they all get worse when you lay down?

I have severe abdominal bloating, and laying down is when it comes on.

They say that laying down will exacerbate the HH/VNI {Hiatus Hernia and Vagus Nerve Imbalance} symptoms. So maybe we are on to something.

There is a treatment involving "pulling the stomach down", by the way...

Also, I share the low heart rate symptom with you [and I have low BP also].

I can only do light exersize now due to fibro muscles cramping up, but I remember how it used to be so difficult to push myself when exersizing - my heart just would not beat fast no matter how hard I went.

countryboy

My first stress test back in 1993 was really something else.  It took over 3 minutes on the tread mill before my heart rate increased at all.  The Dr. was amazed at that and made a few comments about wondering why it took so long.  This was the only stress test on the tread mill as they found problems and immediately did an angioplasty which found one blocked artery.  Had to have open heart surgery and one bypass.

Now for my annual stress test, I have to have the injections that make the heart speed up while I am laying down.  The Fibro won't let me do enough walking to make the machine work.  I also can't do much walking due to fatigue.

They found the Hiatus Hernia the next year, but said that it wasn't bad enough to worry about at that time.  I have had two tests in the last 10 years to see if it has changed, but they say that it still is quite small.

I also get the bad stomach bloating after any meal if I sit or lay down after eating.  Usually try to stay off my butt or back for about an hour if possible.  Some times that can't happen, depending on how bad I feel.

Might be something to pursue with the GP though.

countryboy
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

ronr

Is it the same if you lie on your side, either side as opposed to on the back?
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Noah_Scape

That is interesting about the heart rate not responding to demands of exersize. Can you give more details about why that is happening?

I think I have a similar situation - when I ride my bike I cannot "push it hard", but I do manage to keep going for over an hour sometimes. And, I NEVER jog or run, but I am not sure if it is wind or legs but I just cannot do it. I was a wind instrument player and mountain climber and swimmer - I could go TWO lengths underwater in my glory days, so I am assuming my lungs are working ok. It must be heart, etc,.

ronr asks: "Is it the same if you lie on your side, either side as opposed to on the back?" - are you asking me or countryboy?
Whatever, I will answer:
- I don't know how my gut reacts to laying on my RIGHT side because that leg is badly damaged and therefore painfull to lie on.
- Laying on my back makes me more prone to GAGGING.
- Laying on my stomach creates back pains and sometimes spasms, but I do think it helps the gut - I do it as a Yoga stretch thing but never to sleep.
-  I sleep on my left side.

ronr

I was asking whomever might have an opinion about lying on the sides.  I am most comfortable (as it were) on the right side, whether that be from the neuropathy in the right thigh or the left lower leg, or just the pain at the top of the L series and SI's. 

I really liked the first link you posted, even if it was a really long read.  This article indicated that the left side was usually better for this condition but I did not read that until after I posted the question.

I have found this same site beneath the breastbone and going down to the naval to be extremely sore at times but not all of the time.  When poking around to find trigger points, and just to see how far spread the pain goes is when I first discovered this among others in the abdomen. 

Looking at muscle diagrams has not really given me an answer as to why this would be there so this is something to consider.   Why should this one make any more sense than the others though.

At it's worst, it goes right though from the broken vertebrae to this point and below.  Sometimes just feeling like being run through with a spear, other times with a dirty old wooden fence post or maybe just a bomb.  If  can think of it in the heat of the moment, to start applying the downward pressure at this place, and working down the center of the abdomen while lying on my back seems to allow some relief.  That is after you feel every nerve connection in between.  The starting point is the most intense location for me. 

Relief might come in the form of gas but by that time relief of any sort is more than welcome.

Noah_Scape

I have been doing "massage", although it is more like just pushing on a spot, right at the rib line just to the left of centre of my abdomen. Right near the Ziphoid Process, that little boney spur at the bottom of the breastbone [something I just learned, I had to try to use it somewhere, lol].

Sometimes I feel a twinge in my FOOT from pressing in there, so "everything is connected" !!

I also find that leaning into a big soft chair with my belly, right at the ribs, can get the bulge moving a bit, I feel some relief.

One oddity is that in my yoga poses, some of them are upside down. I would think that would be really bad for a HH, but it isn't. In fact, I find it really helps to do the "morning pose", which is on your knees and forehead to the floor [or ground] and arms stretched out front - feeling the stretch in the abdomen. [yes, like the Muslim prayer position, but no, I am not religious of any kind].

They said the left side is better for sleeping if you have a Hiatus Hernia?

Keep trying stuff!!

ronr

I think it was in the long article that I saw that about being on the left side.  

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_241-242/ai_107201216/  
page 2 - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_241-242/ai_107201216/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

toward the end of the last paragraph -

Some sources recommend sleeping on the back or left side only. Avoid right side sleeping. Baroody notes that lifting, bending, sneezing, coughing, stress, and many other factors can immediately push the stomach up through the diaphragm. Other foods that can be problematic for this syndrome include dairy, wheat, vinegar, citrus and other fruits. Avoid food or drink that is too hot or too cold.

Noah_Scape

Good job to find that quote in that long article. You must know it off by heart now!!

I guess that helps explain why I just don't fall asleep on my right side.

That feeling of pressure in my gut comes on after sleeping, and then gradually goes down through the day, and it starts all over again the next night.

It is more than pressure though, there is some really bizzare anxiety that goes along with it. That is why I am wondering if it has something to do with that pressure affecting some big nerve, like the Vagus Nerve. I have nothing going on in life to cause me such anxiety, and yet I am nearly vibrating, feeling ready to explode out of my skull. And it happens nearly every morning... worse with the wrong foods [sugar, carbs, processed foods].

ronr

I just got lucky that it was only on the second page, otherwise it might have been weeks before I found it.  If I could even remember to look for that long.

That was in the sentence right before the other one.

Lose weight, chew food well, don't eat spicy foods, eat small meals, avoid alcohol, tobacco, (and I would add possibly other nightshades: tomato, potato), avoid fried or greasy foods and mints, elevate the top of the bed by 6-8 inches, avoid tight clothing at the waist, and don't eat less than 3 hours before going to sleep.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk