News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Virgin Broad Band Wireless Mobile Modem

Started by AchinDude, November 20, 2011, 10:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchinDude

I like.

I got ticked off at my CABLE internet company, and decided to get the Virgin Broadband2Go wireless modem.  Installation said it was easy, and once I got passed the required "FIBRO FOG" crap, and followed the directions, it was a snap.

At first it was slow, was talking to RonR when I first tried to set it up, and said a dial up 14400 was probably faster, but now it is just about like what I had with cable.  (Part of my arguments with CABLE, was it was slow!  AND way to expensive in the long run.)    The  CABLE company & I do have a long running history........
:emorant: :emocurse: :emomad2: :crash: :crash: :emopullhar: :emotaz: :emobash: :hits the fan: fart pass out

Virgin Broadband2Go  runs $50.00 a month, for unlimited access.   Really not a bad deal for what I need now.  Was paying more than that for CABLE.

I'll probably hang on to this for a couple of months, and end up going back to CABLE.   Because, in our town, you can only get snow with rabbit ears, or an antennae either way.......... just snow, but it is crystal clear, and plenty of it on all stations!    :laughbounce2:  So I'll have  access to fast internet, just no TV until I get over my temper fit.

We only have one CABLE company where I live, and they DO firmly believe they are god, and I seem to have some kind of attitude to want to tell them they are not.....   can you imagine?

Anyway, so far, the Virgin Broadband2Go has impressed me.......  I can reccomed it with no reserve.

BOB

-------------
MWF ADM/Owner

ronr

Quote from: AchinDude on November 20, 2011, 10:21:42 PM
Installation said it was easy, and once I got passed the required "FIBRO FOG" crap, and followed the directions, it was a snap.

When in doubt, and after having tried everything else, the directions sometimes do help.   :LOL:

Good to see that it works so well for you so long as the reception continues to be good wherever you try to use it.

Speaking of snow though, the folks up North will soon be able to ship you a generous supply without even turning the TV on.  :rotfl:
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Zathras

Bob, there are options for watching the shows that you are a fan of over the internet. Many of the networks allow you to watch episodes on-line at their web sites. As well if you are open to the option you can do peer to peer downloads of just about anything the is on the air.

I have also heard of set ups to get cable TV through an internet connection but I have no first hand knowledge of any of those.

countryboy

Virgin Broadband2go.............Thought you were talking in riddles there for a few minutes  :biggrin:

Does this mean that we will be able to get in touch with you and not have our emails bouncing back all the time?
I was beginning to think that maybe you took an extended vacation for a few months and your in box was over loaded.

My wife told me this last week that we were now paying over $120.00 per month for Internet, fax and phone.  It started at $66.00 3 years ago.  Our cell phones run about $125.00 per month.  My son-in-law that lives in Silverton  which is 20 miles from here, set us up with a receiver unit actually 2 of them a dish and everything we need for the satellite when we first moved here 7 years ago.  Their bill didn't go up and we never get billed, so I guess I shouldn't be bitching about the costs.

I guess I shouldn't gripe at about $250.00 a month for all this stuff isn't too bad.  But then I have nothing to compare it to recently.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

Muaddib67

I had Virgin mobile broadband for a while last year, but since I'm just on the edge of the metro area, the signal kept going between 1xtt and evdo (disconnecting me each time it did).
And out of the chaos spoke a voice to me "smile and be happy, for things can't get any worse" so I smiled and was happy, AND IT GOT WORSE!!!!!

AchinDude

Well, the "blazing" speed you read about, and can see on thier ads, just hasn't seemed to kick in yet.  Like I said, probably about two months, and I'll go back to cable.   They keep making me mad, with all of their changes.  And their new rules, just some kind of mass stupidity if you ask me, however, they didn't.

Virgin does not come with email, so I'm going to get one set up tonight and I'll post one for everyone, just in case.

I'd had the old one for about 13-14 years, give or take. but with everything else going up every day, somme has to give.   We had a neighbor that worked for one of the dish networks, installing them and he said using a satellite was great, except there was a "hole" in our town, a place where they didn't work well.   Has to be a perfectly clear day, unless you are really into watching a blue screen with "Searching for Signals" crawling all over the screen.   Part of his "perks" in working for them, was a free account.   I probably forgot to mention, my house seems to be in the center of the vortex of "searching for signal" feeds..........   Since he was my next door neighbor, he had cable too...........  :-)

On my cell phone, I have 5 bars, inside my house, I do good to have one bar.   On the Verizon I have 1-2.   I'm thinking about putting the USB modem on an USB extension cable, and sitting it over by the window to see if that might change something.

ANYWAY, aint it grand?

BOB
-------------
MWF ADM/Owner

augoldminer

I am working on finding a good mobile broadband for in the future when i go on the road in a motor home.

I am already looking at building a outside directional antenna  as many motor homes are metal sided and this really messes with the signal.
http://www.horstedkeynes.com/homemade3g.html
And a wifi antenna
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

Right now i am on cable and get good service.
I have had 4 computers on my cable with two doing downloads before i start having problems
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

Muaddib67

The only reason I had to use the virgin mobile was that some idiot drunk driver took out the brand new dslam (dsl neighborhood access point), and the phone pole with the major cable router for the neighborhood all in one massive wreck. He was driving a jacked up F-350, 3x over the legal limit on alcohol, and going twice the speed limit when he lost control. It took a year for the phone company to fix the dsl part, and almost 2 months for the cable to be stable enough to keep a signal. The idiot survived, and big surprise, was an illegal immigrant so the tax payers got stuck with his medical bills. I still don't understand how an illegal can manage to purchase a truck like that without having a drivers license, or insurance.
And out of the chaos spoke a voice to me "smile and be happy, for things can't get any worse" so I smiled and was happy, AND IT GOT WORSE!!!!!

twistedpairs

placing your modem by the window should help your signal.  If your house is stucco or has foil backed insulation, goodbye signal!  50 bucks isn't bad, but not great.  Do you live in an area that the phone company services?  I know in my area they are offering a 5 year price, no contract to sign and a hell of a lot cheaper than the cable company who has you on a giant network that you share with everyone in the neighborhood (who has cable tv, phone or internet).  You all share the bandwidth and when people use the cable phone, tv or internet you lose some bandwidth. 

As far as free email, you have your choice.  The major ones are AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo and their variations.
Good luck and hope you have great service!
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned,
so as to accept the life that is waiting for us."
-- Joseph Campbell

If life ain't the party you thought it would be,
DANCE anyway!

tojo

i have a mobile broadband usb from http://www.millenicom.com after reading everyones so called "unlimited plans" fine print I found these guys. Unlimited means unlimited. They might look into what you are doing if you exceed 50gigs a month. $70 a month

I use 3g.com for my other supplies. i have a broadband wireless router that my usb dongle plugs into I also bought the external antenna then i bought an amplifier that came with a indoor antenna and a car antenna. i was using the thing out at the ranch with just the external antenna (they are not fire proof) and had great speeds. Here in town it is funny but it is a little slower lol but with the external antenna and amp i can surf almost as fast as the cable that i used to have.

Gonna by a portable wireless router so i can use my android tablet while out on the road driving Dad to do his job.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

AchinDude

CABLE WON.

Went back to cable.   I did learn something...... using an aluminum pan, one like you use to bake in, shallow if possible.   And sitting the device with the wireless/or satelitte connection INSIDE the pan, will increase or amplify the signal.   You may have to move it around to find the best spot, but ...... it does work better than I'd of thought.

BOB
-------------
MWF ADM/Owner

tojo

I will have to try that i could put the wireless router that the usb plugs into into the cookie sheet lol starting to sound a little mac guy ver ish lol Thanks for the tip Boss
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

Muaddib67

You can also tape the usb receiver inside the pan and hang the pan on the wall. A nice long usb extension cord helps. coffeetime

foxgrove

OR.. and this has always been one of my favourite pet project ideas.. use a metal vegetable steamer and tape the usb stick to the post in the middle.. It's the closest I could come to a portable satellite dish..  :biggrin:  By the way.. I'm pretty sure it won't work but I think it would be fun to try.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

twistedpairs

I have seen guys remove the factory antenna on the modem and install an antenna with about a 10 foot wire between it and the modem.  the antenna seams to punch the signal through just about anything  and extends the range as well.  Then again my sis told me she bought a new router that had an enormous range on it.  I don't remember the range, but it seemed unbelievable when she told me.  She might have been reading the Megahertz instead of the range.  she's not too computer literate.
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned,
so as to accept the life that is waiting for us."
-- Joseph Campbell

If life ain't the party you thought it would be,
DANCE anyway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk