News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

A broken femur bone at 91 years old!

Started by BRPFan, January 08, 2012, 07:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRPFan

The other day a Doctor called our house from our local Hospital. He was telling me that my Wife Henri's Dad was in ER with a broken hip. I guess Dad woke up that morning and was very dizzy but made his way to the kitchen and there he fell. Thankfully he only had to wait 1/2 hour before his home care came to make him breakfast. Although that 1/2 hour must have felt like for ever!

Well they did some ex rays and here it's his RH femur bone was broken, not his hip like they thought earlier. He had two choices, One: just leave it be and Dad would have to be 100% bed ridden for the rest of his life or Two: have surgery on it. Dad right away said let's do surgery. And so they did and he made it through surgery just fine. Dad is one tough 91 year old man (92 next month).

He now will have to stay at the hospital until there is room in our local personal care home. Dad had been paneled for the personal care home before he broke his leg. They say 1-3 months before Dad will be able to get in.

Henri went to visit him yesterday and poor Dad had been feeling down. It's so totally understandable for a 91 year old man like himself. He has had tons of heath problems since shortly after Mom and him got married. And now at 91, almost 92 years old he was still living by himself in one of the high rise condos in our neighboring town 10 minutes away. So now it's all going to change for dear old Dad and he is used to doing things for himself and now allot of that is gone.

We hope and pray that Dad's leg heals properly and as fast as possible! I hope to go and see him one day real soon. It's a huge hospital that we have here and there for allot of walking so Henri my just push me to his room with a wheelchair. It's just way to much walking for me but I really want to go and see him as Dad is a VERY Special Man to Henri and myself!     

countryboy

That is one of the things that we all must think about.  I agree that it will be hard on him at first, but most people can adjust.  Hope that Henri is going to have her hands full for a while not matter if it is in the hospital or the care facility.  It is a shock to the system when you have to give up your dependence and home, even if you have help coming in at times. 

We just hope and pray that he heals fast and can adjust to the new life style.  It will effect you guys too.  This is just another step down the rough and twisted road that we call life.  old-man/cane
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

tojo

Sending up prayers for y'all Bro!!!!!!!!!!
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

avorado

Sounds like Henri's Dad is a tough ol' boy !! Good for him being able to go through the surgery and bounce back like that.
Sounds like there are some future adjustments to make but they will all be for the better.  My ma is in a personal care facility and I am so
pleased at the quality of care that she receives.
   Meds are on time... proper meals, and just a better place for her. Unfortunately she is a dementia patient, but She still knows who I am.
I call her daily for a quick chat.
    All the best to Henri and yourself and hope the recovery for Dad continues on a smooth path.
Take Care

BRPFan

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Yes Henry, Dad is one tough little man!! He's real short and oh so skinny and weighing maybe 100 lbs soaking wet!

The hospital called Sunday morning and asked if Henri could bring her Dad a pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt. 91 years old and has never owned a pair of sweat pants so Henri went up town and bought Dad some sweat pants and a couple of T-shirts. Dad looked and them and said "So this is what everyone calls sweat pants ah?" 

The Hospital needed sweat pants and a T-shirt for Monday as that is when Dad's therapy starts. Henri said Dad was doing a bit better yesterday (that is so good!!!) and he was even able to help himself up with the help of the pole right beside his bed.

Dad never stops amazing us!!

tojo

one of Jesus' own
Tojo

Muaddib67

After my grandfather passed away several years ago, we had to put grandma in a care facility because she wasn't taking her medicine or insulin, and wasn't eating right and not bathing. Admittedly she is 90 now, but she's always been a very independent person. She ran one of the 3 cafe's in her hometown (my mom's parents ran one of the other 2 for a while), raised 7 kids (and half raised part of her grandkids). The final straw was 2 years ago she slipped on the ice and broke both hips (she landed between the steps, and the ground). Luckily the neighbor across the street from her saw her fall and called 911.
And out of the chaos spoke a voice to me "smile and be happy, for things can't get any worse" so I smiled and was happy, AND IT GOT WORSE!!!!!

countryboy

BRPFan,

Just reread my post that I sent the other night.  In that post I said "Hope that Henri is going to have her hands full".  I lost part of one sentence and part of another one.  When they came together, it gave the opposite of what I wanted to say.  Sorry if you guys misunderstood my post.  I know that Henri will have her hands full with her dad no matter where he is at from now on.  At least probably more than before his fall.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

BRPFan

Quote from: countryboy on January 10, 2012, 02:30:18 AM
BRPFan,

Just reread my post that I sent the other night.  In that post I said "Hope that Henri is going to have her hands full".  I lost part of one sentence and part of another one.  When they came together, it gave the opposite of what I wanted to say.  Sorry if you guys misunderstood my post.  I know that Henri will have her hands full with her dad no matter where he is at from now on.  At least probably more than before his fall.

Funny thing Countrybob, we both read the post and we both knew what you were trying to say. Not a problem at all as it happens to me all the time as well. But thanks for fixing it none the less.

Yes since Dad broke his leg Henri has been some what busy but knowing he is in the Hospital and taken care of also fells real good as he was living by himself in his condo and it was starting to get real scary! Henri talked with the personal care home yesterday and Dad's name is almost right on top. They thought it would not take very long and Dad would be able to move into the personal care home where Dad volunteered at for 15 ish years.

BRPFan

Quote from: Muaddib67 on January 09, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
After my grandfather passed away several years ago, we had to put grandma in a care facility because she wasn't taking her medicine or insulin, and wasn't eating right and not bathing. Admittedly she is 90 now, but she's always been a very independent person. She ran one of the 3 cafe's in her hometown (my mom's parents ran one of the other 2 for a while), raised 7 kids (and half raised part of her grandkids). The final straw was 2 years ago she slipped on the ice and broke both hips (she landed between the steps, and the ground). Luckily the neighbor across the street from her saw her fall and called 911.

Oh WOW both hips! Your poor Grandma must have been in allot of pain to say it mildly. Thankfully her neighbors saw her and she did not have to wait a long time for help to arrive! What did they do with the two broken hips?

foxgrove

Oh guys.. I'm so sorry to hear that Henri's da is in the shop with busted landing gear.. That has to seriously suck for a feller as independent as he's been all these years.  And a FEMUR no less!!  It's the single strongest bone in the body!!  That must have one heck of a painful fall!! 

When you talk to him tell him that he's got one more family praying for him..  I hope and pray that this becomes a true blessing for him beyond what anyone here could hope.  Got you two in my prayers as well.  This isn't going to be any picnic for Henri.  We'll be sure to ask for her to be doubly blessed... :budy:

Fox
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Can-Am Wifie

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. He's not doing that great today.

Muaddib67

We ended up having to put grandma in a care unit. One of my dad's sisters and her family live in the same town, so she gets to see family very often. She was in a 3/4 cast for quite some time (mid chest to knees).
And out of the chaos spoke a voice to me "smile and be happy, for things can't get any worse" so I smiled and was happy, AND IT GOT WORSE!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk