News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

AOL and Fibro

Started by Old Crab, April 18, 2012, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crab

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
ALGEBRA SUCKS!
I need a hug!

foxgrove

Thank you for that Crab.. It was a good article hitting all the basics but it really hit home something I think they are missing...

I've been getting more and more frustrated by the misconception that these articles, and I mean almost every article I read, proliferate about fibromyalgia...  The misconception is that "There are no lab tests or X-rays that can help when making a fibromyalgia diagnosis. What doctors look for is tender or trigger points, areas on the body that when touched, even lightly, cause pain."  This is completely false!!  Here's my reasoning...

Diagnosing a patient of ANY disease requires a fairly simple procedure... Take down what the patient reports, what the patient's history shows, and what physical symptoms the patient is showing that confirm what they are saying.  From there, a hypothesis is made, a spectrum of tests are called for that either prove or disprove the hypothesis are ordered, and based on the results from these tests, the doctor either readjusts their hypothesis and starts a different line of investigation or begins treatment for the condition and uses input from the patient and from further testing to monitor the progress of the treatment and to further prove or disprove the veracity of their hypothesis.

With fibromyalgia, the initial symptoms are always chronic systemic pain in both upper and lower quadrants and left and right quadrants.  The tests MUST return negative for other fibromyalgia-like conditions, and they must NOT be cured by treatments for other fibromyalgia-like conditions like polymyalgia rheumatica.

In addition, their patient history and self reported symptoms almost always include at least some of the common co-malignancies of fibromyalgia like fibrofog, bowel problems, myofascial pain, sleep problems, etc etc etc.  What REALLY throws some doctors for a loop is when there are uncommon co-malignancies to deal with that are masking some of the more obvious fibro symptoms so it's not an EASY task but good doctors CAN figure it out.

Fibro is NOT a wastepaper diagnosis.  Diagnosing it is NOT a duck shoot.  Fibro folk stick out like sore thumbs to the observant.  We're SO much alike even though our fibro is very unique to each of us as is our treatment.  We are more alike than we are different.

Now I will step down off my soapbox before I fall down or am shot down.  Thank you for your time and we now return you to whatever reality you were previously plugged in to... :biggrin:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Zathras

I read this and once again we have the BS of having depression listed as one of the symptoms of FM! When is this stupidity going to stop!

The medical literature is very clear on this point, depression is far more common in patients with any kind of chronic illness than it is in the general population. It is depressing to be sick, especially when you are sick all of the time. So why is it that those of us with FM get this crap but you don't see it anywhere else? As with all other chronic conditions there are some with FM who suffer with depression while others do not.

Sorry for the rant but this stupidity gets on my nerves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk