News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Testosterone methods

Started by mission62, June 20, 2012, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleeprLegend

Quote from: chris777 on October 04, 2012, 12:59:45 AM
How did I miss this thread?

I had problems with the patch as well worked great for a few days then I got incredibly itchy rash at site. switched to gel, and other than being a huge PITA It did ok. Problem was I was afraid of it getting on my family. so I switched back to the shots.  I don't think we can get the pills where i am at in Ga.

I too started on the patch and gel, but they didn't work.  I did a special test at the mayo Clinic that confirmed my excessive sweating so that insurance would approve injected testosterone.  My life changed after that.  I do 1 shot a week and the difference has been amazing.  I hope my experience helps.

looneylane

My dr still says my testosterone is ok even though he admits it is low. My thyroid is not processing proper at all and he still refuses to try the alternative to levothyroxine.

SleeprLegend

Here is the link to the test:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sweating-and-body-odor/multimedia/thermoregulatory-sweat-test/img-20005944

I could only stay in the box for 30 min, which is incredibly short for the test.  Once they hit the fluorescent lights I started having Rapid Eye Movements.  It was a huge hassle getting the test, but the injections of testosterone were worth every bit of it.

mission62

I thought some of you may want to hear about long term effects of HRT. 

As noted the patches caused irritation.  I switched to gel and eventually to the shots.   While my T scores were up it worked wonders!  Unfortunately we had to move and that forced a change in doctors and a lack of proper follow up on the tests and a drop in my Testosterone levels over time.   I am still battling with the doctor over that.   

However that said I have been on Testosterone for more than 3 years now.   
It continues to help especially with the fatigue, mental fog and morning stiffness.   
I have dropped from 288 Lbs to 217 Lbs and continue to loose weight at a steady rate.  Something I was NEVER able to do no matter how much I exercised.
I was able to cut my pain meds by about 70%.   
Unfortunately good sleep remains illusive as ever and my number one issue. 

I made the mistake when moving and went to a higher altitude and that combined with Testosterone can cause your blood to thicken.  As a result they have reduced the amount of T that I am getting.   With the reduction I have experienced an increase in pain and fatigue but am still way better than I was.   

Last night I came across a recent article that seems to explain why the Testosterone may work for neuropathic pain relieving therapy. 
http://goo.gl/3EVUsZ

In case the link should go bad over time, here is the basic info:
Steroid-based neuropathic pain relieving therapy: Testosterone inhibits neuropathic pain via down regulation of T cell–derived leukocyte elastase, 7/May/2015, 15.25

A recent study from the Pharmacology Institute, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany; Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA shows that the Serine protease inhibitor-A3N attenuates neuropathic pain by inhibiting T cell–derived leukocyte elastase. This study was published in the 27 April  2015 issue of the Journal "Nature Medicine" (the no.1 journal in General medicine with an impact factor of >28) by Prof.Dr. Kuner, Vicuna and others.

On the foundation of this interesting finding, Dr L Boominathan PhD, Director-cum-chief Scientist of GBMD, reports that: Steroid-based neuropathic pain relieving therapy: Testosterone inhibits neuropathic pain via down regulation of T cell–derived leukocyte elastase.

Significance: 
The mechanistic basis of Neuropathic pain is far from clear.  This study suggests that, Testosterone, by increasing the expression of its target gene, it may decrease the expression of T cell–derived leukocyte elastase. Thereby, it may relieve neuropathic pain. Thus, pharmacological formulations encompassing "Testosterone or its analogues"  may be used to inhibit Neuropathic pain.

I am still trying to get the VA doctors to agree to get my total T levels to around 500 but that has been an increasingly hard battle.  To be fair to the issue the VA did a study that linked Testosterone Treatment to Heart Attacks though that study has been discounted and criticized by at least two recent studies one from the University of Texas.  The VA is not exactly fast to change or get up to current levels of treatments.   As is always the case, some good doctors and some not so good.   

Overall my health has improved and I firmly believe it is due to the Testosterone. 

foxgrove

Cool... so it's best to move to a lower altitude when on T therapy?  Cool.. did not know that!  Very glad to hear that your pain levels have dropped some, even if you weren't able to keep the lower values completely.  Hope it continues to keep your pain levels down.  :clapping:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk