News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Small fiber neuropathy detected among patients with fibromyalgia

Started by WolfSoul, December 20, 2012, 03:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfSoul

Small fiber neuropathy detected among patients with fibromyalgia

December 6, 2012

WASHINGTON — A majority of patients with fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain were diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy based on reduced epidermal nerve fiber, according to research presented at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting.

Researchers retrospectively examined 56 patients who met either the ACR criteria or the 2010 revised fibromyalgia criteria. Punch biopsies were performed at proximal and distal sites on patients' lower limbs. Epidermal nerve fiber density was counted on 50 micron sections, and PGP 9.5 immunolabeling was performed.

"A significant percentage of patients with fibromyalgia will often have neuropathic complaints, so in addition to the kind of dull muscle, flu-like symptoms, they will get burning, stabbing, tingling [and] allodynia,"

researcher *Todd D. Levine, MD**,* assistant professor at the University of Arizona, told *Healio.com*. "Some of them will have autonomic systems. All of that is suggestive that there might be a neuropathic component to their disorder.

"Despite that, if you do traditional EMG/nerve conduction studies, those are normal. One of the reasons we think that it is normal is that the pain fibers ... are very small fibers. They're too small to be detected by the standard tests. So, this technique, which involves a small 3-mm punch biopsy, allows us to study these small unmyelinated nerve fibers in patients."

A standard serologic evaluation searched for identifiable causes for neuropathy in patients with reduced epidermal nerve fiber density, resulting in 61% of patients being diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy.

Five patients displayed evidence of neuropathy on EMG/nerve conduction studies that was inconclusive for diagnosis.

Of the patients with fibromyalgia and small fiber neuropathy, 71% had serologic evidence of underlying etiology for the neuropathy, which had been undetected previously and most of which was treatable. Identifiable causes of small fiber neuropathy among patients included glucose metabolism (n=11), vitamin D deficiency (n=5), Sjögren's syndrome (n=2) and elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate (n=2).

"This would argue that at least in some of the patients, the pain generator may be the small nerves, as opposed to being in the brain, where some people think the pain is," Levine said. "Probably it's going to be a combination of both, so that fibromyalgia is really, probably a combination of pathophysiologies."

***Disclosure:* Levine and researcher David Saperstein, MD, reported ownership or partnership in Corinthian Reference Labs.

For more information: Levine TD. P969: Presence of Small Fiber Neuropathy in a Cohort of Patients with Fibromyalgia.

Presented at: American College of Rheumatology 2012 Annual Meeting; Nov. 10-14, Washington.

***Got this and the other article from the Patients Like Me Fibro forum. ***

WolfSoul

tojo

one of Jesus' own
Tojo

countryboy

Thanks for the food for the brain and also questions for the Doc.  Guess if the shoe fits then wear it might apply
here also.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

augoldminer

i know i have Small fiber Neuropathy from Sarcoidiosis but the doctor blames it on diabetes.

i have had the Small fiber Neuropathy since 2002 and the diabetes since 2009

the doctor thinks i have only Small fiber peripheral Neuropathy but i see many signs i have mixed Small fiber Neuropathy
with small fiber sensory Neuropathy and small fiber autonomic Neuropathy
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk