News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Heartbleed Virus

Started by Lucky1, April 11, 2014, 07:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky1

It is being reported that the "Heartbleed"  my be the worst virus ever.
Nobody wants to give up any info about it yet,  other than to say change your passwords.
What next?
  If you have new info post it.

looneylane

Change these passwords now (they were patched)
Google, YouTube and Gmail
Facebook
Yahoo, Yahoo Mail, Tumblr, Flickr
OKCupid
Wikipedia
Don't worry about these (they don't use the affected software, or ran a different version)
Amazon
AOL and Mapquest
Bank of America
Capital One bank
Charles Schwab
Chase bank
Citibank
E*Trade
Fidelity
HSBC bank
LinkedIn
Microsoft, Hotmail and Outlook
PayPal
PNC bank
Scottrade
TD Ameritrade
Twitter
U.S. Bank
Vanguard
Wells Fargo
Don't change these passwords yet (still unclear, no response)
American Express
Apple, iCloud and iTunes
Healthcare.gov

foxgrove

Good rundown brother!!!  Note that no virus or hacker exploit known that uses this software bug to access data...  The trick here is that they just don't know!!

Currently it is considered a HUGE bug in the communications security software used by a great number of websites.  They essentially left a door open for two years and they hope nobody noticed.  As looney mentioned, it's a good opportunity to change passwords on the websites that you have accounts on IF they have already fixed the bug on their system.  If they haven't yet fixed the bug, changing your password now won't ensure it's security.  Best bet right now with those websites is to keep checking with them to see if they have fixed the bug.

As to changing your passwords, I came across an excellent bit of advice on how to pick excellent and easy passwords:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/08/10/better-master-passwords-the-geek-edition/

Basically, take four or five random words and stick them end to end and you're 100 light years ahead of the pack already.  Add on your own pattern of numbers to letters or special characters and add in some capital letters and your own coloquial misspelling and that password just got insanely hard to crack.

The estimates are somewhere in the order of hundreds of years running massive botnets just to crack one password.  Of course, secure means nothing if you can't remember your password.  The best way seems to have been covered by the cartoon.. In order to remember them, you make up a story that includes your words that you can visualize and make more permanent... plus I cheat and keep a copy in a lock box for emergencies but I'm super forgetful like that.  :biggrin:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

DatonK

Jesus Is Live IN ME. Follow of the Way to the Father Look To Jesus.

Fibromyalgia. It isn't terminal but it will still take your life. Zathras

looneylane

i hate changing my passwords as I have trouble remembering what i have changed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk