News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Revenge of the Snapping Turtle

Started by DEL, April 23, 2014, 08:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEL

Tried fishing today down at the Macon Riverwalk behind the playground. :fishing1: I caught a HUGE snapping turtle that decided to convey his annoyance by breaking a nice fishing rod in half. :crying 2: I watched bass and bream swim by the bait with nary a look. I also sat through an afternoon rain shower determined to catch something with the other rod. :storm:
I did, however, go home and catch a nap... :sleep1:
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

looneylane

DEL

I appreciate it. Thank God the reel isn't damaged-I'll just have to replace the rod.

looneylane

foxgrove

Wow.. that musta been one heck of a snapping turtle but my Lord, do they ever grow em big.  Glad the rod's all that got snapped!!  I'm guessing it was one of those crazy Alligator Snappers..  Nasty brutes.  I've seen them before just not up close and personal like!!  Up here in Canada, we only get the common snappers, itty bitty things in comparison.  If so, you were lucky.  I hear they're endangered down in Georgia.

Well.. here's to better fishing without the competition.  :cheers:  Hope you get a new rod for not too much.  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

countryboy

Where's the camera when you need it? !!!!!!!!!  :emoablow:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

DatonK

Quote from: DEL on April 23, 2014, 08:45:36 AM
Tried fishing today down at the Macon Riverwalk behind the playground. :fishing1: I caught a HUGE snapping turtle that decided to convey his annoyance by breaking a nice fishing rod in half. :crying 2: I watched bass and bream swim by the bait with nary a look. I also sat through an afternoon rain shower determined to catch something with the other rod. :storm:
I did, however, go home and catch a nap... :sleep1:

I wonder if you could of boiled the snapper up and made a meal out of him.

I am told they can be very nasty things.  are they like the leather back turtle a friend owns a fish farm with Koi crap he got some new one in and in the box/tank was this small leather back turtle. He kept it and feed it the dead fish and in no time it was in one of the holding tanks that would of held 20/30 big 2' Koi. Not been to see him for a long time so could say if he still has it but the last time i went it was a nasty snapping thing. My mate had built a high bridge over about 5' above the pond and we would take the food dead fish stock that died and fish that was out of date from from fish & Chippy and there waste bits. it was fun seeing it jump for the food. But i would want my hand near it.
Jesus Is Live IN ME. Follow of the Way to the Father Look To Jesus.

Fibromyalgia. It isn't terminal but it will still take your life. Zathras

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

DEL

Yes, turtle is very tasty. Prepping them can be tough, but the easy way is to just cook them whole
in the shell and just cut off the meaty parts after it is done.

Down here the Common Snapping Turtles get almost as big as the Alligator Snappers. Mine was a Common
because it has a smooth top shell-the other has ridges on it's back shell like a dinosaur. Alligator Snappers are protected by the feds so one must release them if accidentally caught.

I've had Leatherback (Softshell) and Common turtle and both are delicious. When I'm using cut bait going after
catfish there is a fifty/fifty chance I'll catch a turtle.

I'm paying the price now from my little adventure, but it was worth it to get some outdoor time. I might use some stouter tackle and go after that joker again-some cooked turtle might make up for the broken rod! :biggrin:

foxgrove

QuoteDown here the Common Snapping Turtles get almost as big as the Alligator Snappers.

:yikes:  That's in-freakin-sane!!!  Well.. I guess if they're fed and safe for long enough.. you gotta wonder how old it must be to be that big though!!  Some guesses at the one we had in our zoo exhibit put it at over 50 years though I've heard that's like 110 years old in human years.  It wasn't as big as the leatherback shells we saw down in Texas but then again, everything's bigger in Texas right.. ;)

Well.. here's hoping there's a big pot of snapper stew in your future as opposed to human toes in his!!  :budy:

Foxgrove

looneylane

Turtle and alligator are both on my list of things to try....as long as they dont try me first... :insane: :insane:

tojo

I have a friend that used to make me fried snapper all the time and I really miss it now that you have brought it up LOLO Did you take it home to eat??
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

DEL

No. When it broke the rod it flipped back into deeper water and swam away. I'm thinking of
trying again with some heavy line and no rod when I feel up to it-that may be awhile!

foxgrove

Yeah... I've watched guys hand pull heavy line before... You might want to just hook the sucker to a winch and let be done with it! :lmao:

Foxgrove

looneylane

I remember catching trout in the Yukon over 45 pounds and salmon that were so strong they almost pulled me off a bridge. now down here we are lucky to get anything over 4 pounds I used to love fishing up there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk