News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Mental Tips to Fight Pain

Started by Robby, December 08, 2014, 06:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

I've tried doing a lot of these, and I have to say, they help to deal with the pain, I don't think they reduce the pain as the article says, but they do make it easier to deal with it. Tell me what you've tried, and what works/doesn't work for you.

http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20655874,00.html
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

brownyboy

Iam so blessed Im by the ocean,just looking and listening to the waves releives my stress.Speaking of stress about a month ago it was still warm over here in the eastcoast I was playing with my dog and he decided to go in the ocean chasing the seagulls when all of a sudden in the corner of my one,I would say around 20yrds. where my dog is I heard a splash and I saw these fins and the seagull was gone!!!I said to myself thats not a dolphin and then I saw two fins sandy color so it must be a sand shark,not pannicking called my dog in soaking wet,happy as can be had to give him a bath when we got home.Can you imagine me coming home with just a leash,my wife would filet me on the spot.
Living in beach mode

looneylane

The best stress reliever I have found is date night with my sweety! Living in the mountains and watching the wildlife walk through our yard helps to!

foxgrove

I'm in agreement and have used every one of these techniques... many of them quite recently.  I don't have much of a view from my window but it's awfully nice to be able to use the internet as a music source, a distraction, a place to put my thoughts, help find those hilarious thoughts, and a whole bunch more things.  Of course, being totally detached from computers and stuff and just conscious of my breathing is a marvelous way to bring down the pain most times.

Of course, being here and finding things to be positive about is marvelous for more than just my pain level.  No pain is ever going to keep me from experiencing life, even if most of it needs to be through a computer screen.  :biggrin:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

Agreed !  I too have tried and use many of these techniques in some combination or another at different times.

They do help . . . SOME.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

db

I use at least half of them.  It just seems to come naturally.  I'm not sure why massage is a mental tip though.  With chronic myofascial pain, this kind of thing is usually something that causes a delayed pain.  Some seem to be for the better but all seem to be a source for more pain.  :an eyes popping:

db

Greg50

I agree Robby. Mental tips help me focuss on anything but the pain but it doesn't reduce it. I have notice that it helps to try and not think about the pain. It's funny, when my wife asks me about how bad my pain is and I quickly respond that it is not too bad but then I think about it and I realize that it is bad. :)
Greg

Robby

Quote from: Greg50 on February 28, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
I quickly respond that it is not too bad but then I think about it and I realize that it is bad. :)

I think that is every fibromite.
/>----------

foxgrove

Quote from: robby k on March 01, 2015, 06:23:39 PM
Quote from: Greg50 on February 28, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
I quickly respond that it is not too bad but then I think about it and I realize that it is bad. :)

I think that is every fibromite.

Yup... nailed it!!
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Gearhead4Life

Try this.. run a hot bath (not to hot), Ebsom Salt (optional but it seems to help). If you have a proper setup, relaxing music and as you are calming down in the bath, try to meditate lightly. Think about stuff that you enjoy doing, perhaps relaxing at a beach or simple stuff. Do this for 20-30 minutes.. remain in the tub as the water drains, now imagine as it is draining that it takes the negativity you have experienced with it. This has been something i do once every few days, and it works but is only a temporary solution. It is great if you have had a stressful work day.

Robby

Quote from: Gearhead4Life on March 17, 2015, 05:06:42 AM
remain in the tub as the water drains, now imagine as it is draining that it takes the negativity you have experienced with it.

Back when I could sit in the tub, I would sit there until all the water drained. If you flip the plug, and lean back again and close your eyes and relax, it feels like your floating in the air, and you go completely limp, and for like 5 minutes after the water is completely gone I would just keep laying there, because my back and legs were so relaxed I couldn't move them.
/>----------

denny

How do you keep from freezeing after the water drains?
Thats also part of the reason i hate showers.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Robby

Quote from: denny on April 28, 2015, 04:29:29 PM
How do you keep from freezeing after the water drains?
Thats also part of the reason i hate showers.

Denny you don't LOL. Actually the way you feel as much as you are relaxing, you don't notice the cold. The only thing on your mind is how dead your your arms and legs are, and how it feels you are being sucked into the bottom of the tub. It is such a great feeling, you don't think about anything else. You couldn't think of something else if you wanted to, your mind is fixed on the relaxation.
/>----------

denny

If it works that well i guess i better wash the tub!
But ill bet i start working up enouth anxity to ruin the whole thing before the water drains.
But whatever you are i dont think your a liar! :biggrin:  :rotfl:
Ill have to try it now.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

ronr

I recently had someone say to use a hand towel or something of that size.  Heat your water, add epsom salts, get the towel wet and then use that to soak the site.  With the appropriate towel between your skin and that for burn protect. 

That way you can hit a specific site rather than have to soak the whole body.  Haven't tried it yet though.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk