News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

New member saying hi

Started by Actinggrad, December 19, 2014, 03:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Actinggrad

Hi everyone,

I came across this site actually googling 'gays with fibro' trying to find any type of research and was amazingly relieved to find this site/forum. I'm male, 26 years old in the US, currently working on my MFA in Acting and doing some teaching as well. I carry a pretty heavy 'work' schedule, which results in my being in a constant middle to high grade flare-up, which i've figured I can hack for 3 years to get my degree until I can stop acting and let my body rest- 1 semester down, 5 to go.

A little about my diagnosis: going on year 4 with fibro with hypersensitivity, restless legs, IBS, symptoms of (but undiagnosed) myofascial pain, and am as my doctor put it, "a sweaty, anxious little guy"

Current med regimen is pamine, lyrica, robaxin, vitamin D, and zoloft which i'm weening myself off of right now (which sucks soooooooooo bad). I use medicinal mj to help with the tension the robaxin doesn't touch (which is most of it, cuz do any of the meds really work?) and to put me to sleep, even though unless I get about 14 hours I feel pretty exhausted still, like all of you I'm sure.

I've been lucky because my older sister has fibro as well, she had it while we were in high school so of better or worse I kinda knew what I was in for- and i found it interesting it ran in the family, though our family has a lot of the theorized triggers (abuse at a young age, car accidents with spinal injury, times of extreme activity/rest), so me and my sis may have been doomed.  

I guess that's me saying 'hi'- I'm pretty excited I found this- I know no other men with fibro and my friends just don't get the feelings of emasculation, hopelessness, anxiety and fear that all come rolled up with this decrepit feeling. Just knowing there are other people out there willing to talk about it helps to lift some of that darkness.

Thanks for reading my giant post. Hope you're all well.
Pain is inevitable- Suffering is optional.

countryboy

Will  go back over it tomorrow.   Nice to see another night-owl.   :hi:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

ronr

Welcome !

Five semesters to go sounds like a really hard push yet to come.

Feel free to ask for the only bad question is the one not asked.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

looneylane

In my 3rd year of a BSW myself keep plugging along nice to meet you!

countryboy

Sorry to see that your family has been hit between the eyes with this damned disease.  We never know how it is going to effect any of us as we are so different with the reaction to meds and trauma.

Hope your schooling brings you what you are after.  Just remember to go slow and easy.  There is no rush at your age to get somewhere fast.   ;)
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

foxgrove

Welcome to the family ActingGrad, :welcomeani:

However you found us, I'm glad that you did.  I'm pretty impressed that you're able to keep going at a high output level... most of us have had to put that life far behind us.  Sadly, the doctor's little ditty about fibro not being a progressive disease has little to do with fact and much more to do with their definition of progressive.  Basically, because they can't measure any change, they assume it doesn't change.  Well... there was really very little that they could measure in the first place.  The pain and fatigue does slowly grow for most of us and it's better to know that now than to get yourself all wrapped up in making lists fro the future... life is in the now brother!!!  Go for it!!

Stinks that both you and your sis got nailed but as I say, there is strength in numbers.  I know that you'll try to be a good help to her just as she's been a help to you already.  Remember that every person's version of fibro is unique but that many of the basic treatment ideas work in one form or another for many of us.  Meds... well... that's a completely different kettle of fish!!  I'm talking gentle stretching, range of movement exercises and stretching, warm baths, lots of rest...  the biggies.

So some.. dig in.  There's ideas and solutions in here that'll help you to find what works for you and lots of the most amazing people anywhere to help you find it.  You're part of our family now so don't be shy.. we're not.  Glad to have you aboard brother.  don't be a stranger.  :biggrin:

Fox :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk