News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Filling out LTD papers

Started by Sportsman_Undone, January 05, 2015, 06:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

It was my understanding when I went through it, that from the day you submit your application until your hearing with the judge, if you work at all, you are automatically denied. But, I've recently heard a few other guys saying that they were able to work part time. My suggestion, which I'm going to do myself Monday is to call the 800 number and ask what the regulations say, I want to know myself, I will post once I know. But, you may want to call yourself as I may not remember even though I'm setting an alarm on my phone.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

Lonesome George

The best scenario, as far as being approved, would be for you to be fired from your current job because of excess absence and sick days from your condition. Also, and this is something I am going through now, make sure you are clear with the type of work you are doing. I have had several different postions through the years, and SSI said in my denial they could not determine what type of work was primary for me. I thought I made it clear, just not clear enough I guess. Working for myself as an auto dealer for almost the last 7 years skewed what my main income has beem most of my recent life. Be very specific as to your vocation and stick to it.

I have been pretty much a jack of all trades my whole life, and even when working one job as my main income I always did many other things on the side to make ends meet. My past work experience really messed with what my main income has been.  I was doing what I had to do to live with fibro and still earn an income, but it has bit me. I hope I can straighten it out when I finally have my hearing.

foxgrove

Stay where you are until either your health improves to the point where you can work easily or you can no longer work.  If in the end, you don't need the disability, great... you can always tell them you got better.  The reality of it, though, is that there will likely come a time when your body can no longer continue to work.  At that point, you need something to fall back on.  If you have any disability insurance through work, that's when it will kick in.  If you've already got SDI in the works, you're that much closer to receiving it and you've got the final piece of the puzzle that you needed to get your disability.

For me, it came down to a realization between my boss and I that things were not going to go well come my next review which was expected considering I could no longer really function. All of my previous ratings had been stellar so there was a lot of leeway given but there came a time when I was no longer working, just collecting a paycheck.  At that point, it was time to go on to disability in it's many forms.

I really hope it doesn't come to that for you.  Continue to work with the idea in mind that you might get better but just in case, build a safety net, no matter how far away that is.  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Robby

OK  here is the actual Social Security Disability page, that explains the rules for applying.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify4.htm

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

You cannot do work that you did before;
We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments.

Let's look at the other requirements:

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify2.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify5.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify7.htm

http://www.benefits.gov/ssa/questionnaire

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_adult_eng.htm

So There you go, you are disabled if "you can not do the work you did before, or any other work", which means that if you are still working and collecting a paycheck, you will be denied. So the day you submit your application, you better stop work.  That's what my disabilty rep, told me, if you work after the day you you submit you will be denied.
/>----------

Sportsman_Undone

Well, my long term disability was just denied. 

THEY determined I am capable of sedentary work.  What a joke. 

I've already spoke with an attorney and have an appointment with him March 6th to start the appeal process.  He also advised I (now) apply for SSD.

He said it's likely going to be 6-12 months before there is a chance I see income, maybe even longer.  I don't see how I can make it 2 more months.

Not a good day.
Simple, but true.

foxgrove

Rats!!  I remember when my LTD did that... appeal like there's no tomorrow!!!  The most likely thing is they've gotten a wrong impression in their head and have "backed it up" with some surveillance which has been interpreted in their favour.  I've been through the process and the best bet is to stay calm, keep your head about you, and be very honest with them.  You are no longer able to work... period!!  

One of the best things I did when that happened was to get both my docs in on the appeal... man, you shoulda read the letters they wrote that company!!  Wow, did they ever lay into them!!  It gave me a huge boost of hope and in the end, it was that and my explanations to their questions that fixed the issue up and restored my coverage.  I had actually been accused of faking so it was pretty serious but in the end was simply a misunderstanding of the facts on their part.

It was a long wait for the disability to come back but it eventually did... four or five months if I recollect correctly.  We'll certainly be keeping you and your family in our prayers.  If you need any help finding financial assistance in your area, just drop me a line.  I'd be glad to help out.

Fox :budy:

Foxgrove

Robby

Quote from: foxgrove on February 24, 2015, 10:21:13 PMIf you need any help finding financial assistance in your area, just drop me a line.  I'd be glad to help out.

Fox :budy:

...AAANNNNDDD my experience is that if anyone can track something down it's the FOX!  chomp
/>----------

Sportsman_Undone

I had another phone conversation with my attorney.  He said my LTD company has (up too) 6 months to make a decision once the appeal is filed.  He said we need to stack the paperwork on for the appeal process because once you submit an appeal, the only things that will be considered are the documents filled with the appeal.

I've been gathering paperwork for our first appointment.  I've kept really good documents so I hope that helps.

As far as finances, my Wife and I have both been through tough times.  A little less than a year ago, we both made a lot of money.  I became too sick to work anymore, and the global multi-billion dollar a year company my wife worked for closed the doors in our city.  We made a decision 10 months ago to stay put and focus on my career rather than move to New York or North Carolina (we live in Michigan and big cities just aren't for us).

So now we have no income.  None.  Luckily, we were good with our money and are debt free.....including our house.  I've currently been spending my time eliminating luxury bills and squeezing the others tightly.  I have a budget laid out that if we stick to we can live 6 months and not fall behind on anything.  It's an extremely tight budget, but it's doable....at least that's what I'm saying because we have no choice.  We'll be buying food in bulk, minimizing our vehicle use, sharing a cell phone (our only phone), no cable, etc., etc.

My wife is looking for work, but it's difficult.  Her skillset is very specific and we new that when we decided to stay here.  Now, she's basically looking for anything that will pay the bills (and provide health insurance).

I guess the good news is I don't really think things can get any lower, this has to be the bottom.  Better times must be ahead.

Thank you all for the support.
Simple, but true.

looneylane

I know after I moved away they wanted me to redo my assessments if I wanted my medical coverage again. I couldn't afford that fight again. My Dr will go to bat for me but I have little trust in what his notes will say bad or good.

foxgrove

So glad that you had at least somewhat of a nest egg that you can fall back on.  That's fabulous.  The belt tightening kinda comes with the territory... well... unless your last name is Vanderbilt or something like that. ;)  Mine is Smith... yeah.. nothing in that cookie jar for me either. :lmao:

You sound like you've done a really good job with planning things out.  Being sober and realistic about the future is often really scary but it's good to have a plan.  You're right brother, better days are coming... Never count out the miraculous...  We pray for it daily!! ;)  :budy:

Foxgrove

lastofsix

The STD/ LTD company I had through my last employer made me file for SSDI after the 6 months of STD in order to collect LTD. Also, employer paid LTD policies (ERISA type) have to be paid back, it is basically a loan. Unless maybe, it is a policy that you paid for. Don't take my word for it but check it out. I had to give all my back pay from SSDI to the LTD company. ( I understand that is how they keep rates lower for employers.) They were going to go after my pension too if I filed for it anytime during months in which I collected LTD to shore up any arrears (Offsets). I cancelled my LTD after I was approved for SSDI because I didn't want to pay them back even more. After collecting 1.5 years STD/ LTD combined they wanted me to see their Doctor an hour drive away to continue collecting. It felt great and empowering to cancel my LTD at that point since they were probably just going to scrutinize me with their doctor anyway. I could picture in my mind I would have to be stuck in a wheel chair to keep collecting at that point. The insurance companies have their own definition of disability that differs from SS at the 2 year point even though I had a 5 year policy.

Like you I had remained frugal and have everything paid for. I worked through a lot of pain over the years until I threw in the towel and had to give up a great paying job I took great pride in. I'm so glad I downsized twice over the years knowing things were only getting worse for me. I'm also very grateful for the benefits that were negotiated between my former employer and union so I had some dignity during this difficult transition. I learned these things as I went through the process. I wish I read something like this a while back. When reading your posts I can relate to pretty much everything. Hope this helps.

I'm from rural Michigan too!

lastofsix

Very sorry about the denial. I just don't get it when things like that happen.

Lonesome George

LTD insurance usually always requires you to pay them back if you collect SS.  They don't tell you that up front though.

looneylane

Sportsman_Undone

Do they require you to pay them pack, or do they deduct the SSD amount from the monthly LTD payments if you get SSD?
Simple, but true.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk