News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Anybody else have overwhelming feedback loop in hands and feet?

Started by Barberian, April 01, 2015, 11:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barberian

With my hands and to a lesser degree my feet, I often can't touch or have on my hands certain stuff.  :yikes: I can't get any part of my hands sticky, oily, dirty (auto mech type dirty), and certain textures totally freak me out. Even the sensation of soapy hands can set me off. If the skin dries out (low moisture and natural skin oils) it does the same thing. My feet, it's more about textures and they can't dry out either. If I've been wearing socks, I need to keep wearing socks. Reverse applies also. With my feet, it's more about consistency of sensation(s).

It's a very strong sensation best described as similar to fingernails on a chalkboard, add in a little funny bone injury sensation focused on the hand(s) but all over the body/mind. Depending on how strong the sensation is, I can fight it for a short while to being totally freaked out. I've literally run as fast as I can manage, to a sink to wash my hands. It's usually manageable - get something on my hands, wash as soon as I can walking normally (being very mentally uncomfortable).

I'm assuming it is the nerve feedback loop of fibro. I'm not sure if it is an OCD tendency or mix of the two. Thinking this out as I write this, makes me doubt the OCD tendency. I only have one mildly strong OCD tendency, and that is in my writing (I strongly tend to over explain stuff, edit, read, re-edit, re-read, etc.).

This is always a consideration when I try to do something. From eating (any food eaten with bare hands), working on a vehicle, housework, yardwork, taking out the trash, just about everything. I have often frozen in near panic when a task came up and I tried to figure out if I could do it, and if I should get disposable gloves on to do it.

This comes to mind because last night a friend of my wifes was at the house last night helping her with some house work. My wife asked me to take out a bag of trash. As I stood at the trash I was utterly humiliated because I froze trying to figure out what to do next. I couldn't figure out if I should pick up the bag, get a pair of gloves, or run for cover. I was afraid the bag might get something on my hands. My hands have been super sensitive this last week or so.

I don't know if my wifes friend picked up on my distress. As a man who could do just about anything years ago, it's humiliating to have so many roadblocks, hang ups, issues now.  :yikes:  :insane: :emorant:  :emocurse:  :emomad2:  :emowall:

denny

Certain textures make my skin crawl just feeling it with my fingertips,and somehow my mouth too.
Almost like chewing tinfoil. yuk,ew!
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Barberian

I am really surprised only one other person is similarly affected here. When I was looking for a fibro forum to join, I read in a few other forums, that this wasn't very common, but a small portion of fibro sufferers did have similar conditions.

Meh, this is a much smaller forum (active members who post). I guess it's a good thing, cause it really does suck at times.

Robby

I agree that smaller forums can suck sometimes, because there's not enough population to replicate the symptoms you need help on. Then again I prefer a smaller forum, it feels more like family, and close friends. With some other problems I have I am on two boards, one small for that feeling, and one large for the information. But, I don't get on the large one's unless I have a question to ask.

I wish I could help you, I mean I could research the condition, and tell you that information, but that's not what you need, or want. But, if you do decide you want me to, I will be glad to research as much as you want.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

Barberian

Thank for the offer Robby. I wasn't looking for a specific answer. I was putting out an oddball symptom I have, and was curios if anyboby else here had it or something similar.

I'm sorry if my wording seemed ungrateful to/for this community here. I too prefer the smaller forums. Just look at how a post on FaceBook can turn out for comparisons.

Robby

Quote from: Barberian on April 12, 2015, 05:50:40 PM

I'm sorry if my wording seemed ungrateful to/for this community here. I too prefer the smaller forums. Just look at how a post on FaceBook can turn out for comparisons.

No, you didn't sound that way, I worded myself badly as usual. I am so bad about that. I was just pointing out the differences, good and bad in the two types. I hate I couldn't tell you something useful. But since I can't I'll try to find anything I can if you want me to, I can usually track down anything I need.
/>----------

Barberian

How I feel when my hands get sticky, oily, etc...

:yikes: :rotfl:

I saw this gif on a music site, it was made from a vid they had, which was pretty cool. It had this guy and a woman standing still next to him. I immediately thought of this thread. I copied the gif, edited out the woman, and here it is.

Here is the vid if ur interested.

https://youtu.be/DpVfF4U75B8 It's kinda artsy, cool, electronic music.

looneylane

ronr

Sounds like this is one of the less common issues is all.

Numbness and tingling . . now that is a common complaint at different points all throughout our bodies.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

foxgrove

I know it shioved my ocd tendeniicies into overdriive. I tend towards dermatophilia where I ewill pick my nails and skin until I bleed but it became much more pronounced after i got fibro!  Don't know if that helps.  i,m not clinically ocd but do have some tendencies that lean heavily on that direciotn.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

denny

LOL! On the video!
I totaly get that , in fact iv done something very like that many times before.
Im sorry you have that.but its good to know someone else can confirm that im not going crazy.
Not one doc i told about it knew what it was.all said anxity!
I will admit anxity makes it worse,but then it makes everything worse dont it?
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

StillGoN

I know this is several weeks late but I also suffer from extreme sensitivity in hands and feet.  Sometimes it is painful and other times is just the feeling of too much sensory input.  It hurts to get out of bed in the mornings.  I kick my socks off every night but if I go to bed without them the pain from the sheets touching my feet keeps me awake.  It can be torturous pain at times.    I have currently found a blanket combination that has help.  I sleep between too fleece (fuzzy) blankets.  These give a warming comfort and are never cool to the touch.  My body senses cold as pain and cool sheets at night sends many body muscles into cramp in addition to the uncomfortable cool feeling.

Robby

Quote from: StillGoN on May 31, 2015, 09:39:00 AM
I know this is several weeks late

Don't worry about being a few weeks late, as long as you don't grab something a few months old, in that case make a new thread, referencing the old one (a link would be nice). But if you  weren't here when the thread was fresh, or you have had something new start, grab a thread and chime in. Most of us won't remember the thread anyway  :emolaugh:
/>----------

foxgrove

QuoteMy body senses cold as pain and cool sheets at night sends many body muscles into cramp in addition to the uncomfortable cool feeling.

I get the same issue... really sucks when you move your feet to an uncovered part of the bed and suddenly they feel like they're being stabbed.  I hear warm blankets help but right now, I'm trapped between too much heat and too many cool surfaces in the night.  :insane:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Robby

Oh, yeah cold sheets are the worst. There are nights I have to get back up right after laying down, and take another pain pill, then put on another pair of sweat pants, and sweat shirt and another pair of socks. That is if I don't have to get in the shower and warm up first, it's the only way to stop the pain.
/>----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk