News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Cymbaltia/Duloxetine

Started by Gearhead4Life, April 20, 2015, 12:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearhead4Life

I've just been prescribed this on a trial period. It is optional, and i plan to take my first dose tonight. This is designed to treat Fibro pain and I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried this, and what their experience has been like. I was falling asleep in the docs office today so I'm praying this can restore my restful sleep. I'm on a 30mg dose and I'm on call with my doc through the process. This is probably the most expensive prescription I've ever had through this. I have been nervous about taking anything that messes with brain signals and serotonin levels, however at this point perhaps it can help. I'm hoping to see results with the first pill and greater mobility overtime. Been gaining a lot of weight since the Fibro symptoms started and i am wondering how severe i have it compared to others. In the past few weeks the pain has gone from a starting 3.. to a 5, and then to a 7, flares can bring it to an 8 or 9. As i type this, its probably a 6 due to severe lack of rest, even though i slept a full 8 hours.

Robby

Cymbalta started as a anti-depressant. But, that's part of the problem with fibro, for a lot of people anti-depressants work, since seratonin not only helps with mood, but helps reduce (fibro-type) pain. So give it a shot, I've used several anti-depressants over the years, but can't remember exactly which one's it was, especially since I take them for mood swings and stuff. I've heard a lot of good things about Cymbalta, but you know the old saying "your mileage may vary".
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

kingd

I am on the 30mg,Have been for a while(over a year)
  I think it has been working,I do not think it is working as well as it used to so I might have to increase the dosage.

I hope it works for you.

augoldminer

Watch for BPH, fog, and other strange side effects.

Cymbaltia/Duloxetine was never "really" tested for men with fibro.

If the pain does not go down watch out if the doctors tell you you just have to keep taking it and it will someday work.

I hope it works for you.
but no antidepressant worked for fibro pain with me and the side effects were worse then the fibro.
http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pub/docs/Cymbaltapi.pdf
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

Sleep Mode zZ

If/when you stop taking them, remember to do it gradually. I got very nasty brain zaps for a couple of days when I just stopped taking them. And as a memento from that episode I have a tinnitus like high pitched noise in my left ear. It have reduced but is still noticeable now and then - many years after the episode.

kingd

Quote from: augoldminer on April 20, 2015, 05:04:16 PM
Watch for BPH, fog, and other strange side effects.

Cymbaltia/Duloxetine was never "really" tested for men with fibro.

If the pain does not go down watch out if the doctors tell you you just have to keep taking it and it will someday work.

I hope it works for you.
but no antidepressant worked for fibro pain with me and the side effects were worse then the fibro.
http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pub/docs/Cymbaltapi.pdf
Yes the side effects can be a problem/interesting,and withdrawals can be bad.

Gearhead4Life

Thank you guys, i feel a sense of calm that i did not before, so i think it is working. My appetite however has decreased and i don't feel it as much. The pain is nearly gone, so for that it is working. I actually feel like i managed to get a decent nights rest last night, first time in a while. I'm monitoring for other symptoms.

db

I went through a period where I tried many of the antidepressants.  They didn't help me sleep better and I didn't think they were worth staying on.  They may help some people but I think my sleep problem are more to do with chronic myofascial pain issues.  >:(

I treated those with accupuncture which eventually made the difference.  ;)

Not that I am all that great.  Just better than I was.  I do find the Neurontin/ Lyrica drugs to help overall.  I can't seem to quit them without my Fibro symptoms kicking in.   : :( :

db

Gearhead4Life

I'm getting some odd side effects with this, mostly headache and occasional nausea, this is day 2 of the meds so now is a good time to stop. I am going to talk to the doc as these meds are expensive.

Update: I'm to continue the medication, doc is convinced the side-effects will go away once my body adjusts to the drug.

Gearhead4Life

So yesterday i had an apparent allergic reaction to this stuff, i was met with a splitting headache and tremors in my arms and legs. Doc told me immediately to stop taking it, i wish he would've said that the previous day lol. I am feeling fine now except for normal allergies. Looks like its on to plan B hopefully i can see a Rhuematologist soon.

ronr

Keep track of all that in your log sort so that some other doc later on doesn't try the same medication.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Gearhead4Life

Quote from: ronr on April 24, 2015, 09:16:49 AM
Keep track of all that in your log sort so that some other doc later on doesn't try the same medication.

Planning on it, this is the first time i have ever reacted to any medication. Appreciate the advice. That was a scary experience i thought i was going to have to call an ambulance.

foxgrove

Very glad you were able to just drop it!!  Allergic reactions are nothing to joke around with.  Sadly, poor reactions to meds seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

So... on to the next idea!  We'll be praying. :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Jasshook

Sorry for jumping in late and for your allergic reaction. I  took a variety of mood meds and antipsychotic )s like prozac,  radial. Those didn't work. Gave me a high and then worsened my symptoms.

The strong pain killers conked me out  but were effective, such as morphine, Vicodin, and oxycontin.

Cymbalta had a powerful and immediate effect for me. Restful sleep, more energy. Better concentration and less fog. However it only improved the pain a little.

I think my point is keep trying til you find what works? Lol hello fibro I missed you, buddy! :LOL:

Olys45

I'm sorry to hear about your allergic reaction.

Luckily I am able to tolerate it and since it was just put onto the VA formulary my Doc prescribed it. Overall I think it is working for me and the overall pill count for my daily "VA Skittles" went down!  :clapping: I'm using it to double dip to keep a level head and to manage the pain.

"Dysfunctional for your freedom, Medicated for your protection"

Oly
A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

God created Aircraft Mechanics so Pilots could have hero's too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk