News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Truck mirrors

Started by Robby, May 22, 2015, 05:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

The mirrors on my "new" (to me) truck are useless, first they are way to small, second above 40mph (64kmh), you can see the glass waving like a flag, and the whole glass part, moving back and forth in the housing. So I have been looking for some new ones, for a while, I was trying to find the biggest thing I could, that I could afford. I had 3 styles picked out that I wanted to choose from, the cheapest set I found was $20ea, and up from there and I just could not afford that. Then the other day while searching I found a link to "rockauto.com", a company I've used a bunch. I bought two different (different cars) reman A/C compressor's for about half what they cost anywhere else for a used one. Not to mention a bunch of other stuff, it's my first stop when looking for something I don't have to have immediately.

So I followed this link, I don't know why I didn't think of them first, but just didn't, and found a set, my third choice, but still one of my choices, for $3.47ea, with free two day shipping. The shipping cost more than the mirrors. So they came in yesterday morning, so I opened one very carefully just in case, but like I said I wasn't paying $10-15 shipping just to get $8 back. I got it open, and pulled out the head, and I be damn, it was the same quality as the $100 set I looked at. I can still add a bracket mount spot mirror, but I've got to find a longer bracket to reach the hole, and clear the mirror head. I wanted a west coast mirror, I love those things, my second choice was the old tri-point mount.

So we started putting them on the truck, (close eyes, and hang head in disbelief and anger). I had told Brandon that we were not taking the old mirrors off. They had the knob inside the door to adjust them, I wasn't taking them off, I didn't care what it looked like. So I have him hold one up the the right side just in front of the old mirror just to make sure it wasn't too far back, it wasn't. But he started throwing a fit, he had to take the old one's off, and there was nothing I could do but let him. With his mental problems when he gets like that, you just have to go behind and clean up, or call the cops to get him under control when he gets pissed off.

So he finally gets the old one off an hour later, (shaking head in frustration), instead of a 30 min. install for both, there are three big holes in the door for the adjustment cables and handle, and the mounting screws.  So I marked the holes, and had him grab about a 20p nail, to mark the holes so the bit would be able to bite, and I went inside to set down, before I over did it. I have spent the last 4 days with someone having to hold on to me every where I walked, and about lunch it just stopped. So I wait to hear him drill the last hole, and I go back out, we put the top screws in, and I go to put the bottom plastic bushings in, but I can't he hit a brace, not his fault, but he didn't bother telling me, he wasn't able to finish the holes, and when he did the first hole and hit the brace, he should have stopped and called me.

Take the mirror back off, and try to finish the holes, NOT going to happen, so we have to move the mirror over. Now I have 7 holes in the door, that I have to fix. Although I did figure out if I get some of those black bushings, and pop in, the holes are now small enough to silicone, to keep it from leaking. I have decided that I'm going to try and cut the metal spring cables for the mirror adjustment, then maybe, maybe not, cut the mounting base off the mirror head, and then put it back on, to cover the other holes, still have to find a way to keep water from getting in, but at least it won't be as bad as what it is.

Now, after stopping yesterday, I still feel good, a little sore, but I made sure to make myself sit down every chance I got, and even made some chances.

/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

Robby

EDIT: UPDATE, Brandon had to go somewhere this morning, so I went out, and started working on putting the other mirror on. I marked the holes with a pen, then spent about 35 minutes looking for the 8p nail we used yesterday to mark the metal for the drill bit to bite down on. Finally found a old phillips head, where the end was small and rounded off but the shaft was thick enough to hold up. That screwdriver should have went in the garbage 4 years ago when we moved here so I wasn't going to mess it up. So I get the drill and spend another 20 minutes trying to find the drill bit, found that, and then drilled the holes in the door, and put the plastic bushings in. Then started looking for the socket, and the adapter that goes in the drill to put the screws in. Another 20 minutes there, and I stood up, and could tell my back was tight, so I put everything down, and came in and sat down. That's where I've been, I just realized I can probably put them in with a ratchet, but I think we used the drill yesterday.......No we didn't, I held the mirror, and Brandon put in the screws.  $#&*%#&%#* Fog  :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: old-man/cane old-man/cane old-man/cane. Now I'm going to have some coffee, then I'll go back out, if Brandon isn't back.

EDIT #2: I post this, then go in the kitchen, and make the coffee, I get back in here, just before I sit down I say "Damn". I go back in the kitchen, sure enough I had forgot to put the coffee grounds in. I put the basket back in, I put the carafe back in, and I put the water in, but not the coffee. YEAH, that damn fog.
/>----------

Lonesome George

Get a piece of sheet metal and cut it to size to cover where the old mirror mounted. Grind or file the edges to round off the sharp corners so it will match exactly. Follow that with sanding the edges for smoothness and the rest for paint. Either paint, or better yet spray it with some spray on bedliner. Coat the backside with silicone and stick the covers on the door.  Will almost look factory.

Lowe's and Home depot will have plastic plugs that will smap in the holes that were drilled wrong. You may have to go up one size on the hole, or you may get lucky and find some the right size. They will also have small pieces of sheet metal of various thickness.

Robby

George, I did think about going to a welding shop, since I can't weld, but I have a friend that welds for a living, so he can do anything I need. I didn't think about those plugs you mentioned, I call around and see what I can find, thanks.
/>----------

Robby

EDIT: #3 I'm finished. From using the ratchet to put the bolts in the door/mirror, I now have a shoulder spasm, but I get the same spasm from picking up a cup of coffee, so it's nothing worth talking about. I managed to finish without hurting myself  :wiggle: :wiggle:  :punk: :punk: an cheerleader an cheerleader :toot: :toot:  :bounce: :rotflmao:

Don't ask me how I managed to make myself sit down every time I needed to.

I decided to take the old mirror he took off, and I cut the spring cables now I'm going to have him put it back on, that covers that. It's that or have a piece of metal cut to fit the triangle, and then weld it on, and paint it. After checking several auto parts, and body shop supply shops, and unable to find the plugs I'm looking for, I decided to just get some more of the tag holder's and use the plastic bushings, and some silicone. So I'm going with the easiest/cheapest options, without just spending days trying to focus on it long enough to come up with something else.

EDIT #4 I lied about not hurting myself. When I started to bed at 9 last time, I was a little , not really sore, but I could feel that I had done something. I then woke up at 3:30 in level 8 pain. I've gotten it down to about 6, but it's not going away any time soon. I've got a bunch of stuff that I have to get done today.
/>----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk