News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

What does the future hold....

Started by spurgeon, October 26, 2015, 07:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurgeon

Hey men,

I'm 44, and have suffered for many years, but it's always been a rollercoaster. Good months, bad months, etc. But, I was curious as to how Fibro manifests itself over a longer period of time.
In other words, what do I have to look forward too? :yikes:

Does Fibro:
1) Continue to get Worse over time;
2) Stays the same;
3) Can stay the same if you manage it;
4) Can get better[/b]

Just curious to everyone's experience how Fibro has been playing out in your lives?

Thanks!
Spurgeon
Rev 21:4 - "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Robby

For me it has gotten worse over the years. In my teens and early twenties it was more of annoying than anything, and has gotten slowly worse to the point there are times I am bedridden for days at a time.

The official word is that it does not progress, and maybe it hasn't progressed it could be that I'm just not dealing as well as I did. All I know is I am worse than I was 20 years ago. I am managing it better now (as far as medication and other treatment), but I'm still worse. That's my experience.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

Barberian

For me it too has slowly progressed. In my 20's it was just a mild annoyance and I didn't know what was causing unusual amounts of pain when I had a steady pressure like holding something above my head, gripping something hard like a tool, or standing for long times. My 30's it became worse and standing for long times became very painful. 40's and I can not stand still or do the shopping shuffle (walk, stand, walk, stand, etc) for very long without looking for a place to lay on the floor after a short time (which would be worse because of the hard floor). I'll be 50 this Dec. and I'm not looking forward to my new pain levels for my 50's... : :( :  old-man/cane

db

I think I'm a 4.

It mostly matters how well I get my chronic myofascial pain (CMP) treated and how well I avoid overdoing the physical activity.   :1115:

I don't think most people have the option.  No doctor or therapist seemed to know what to do.   :emorant:  Out of desperation I stumbled into getting accupuncture on the trigger points.  It took years to figure it out and even more luck to find a good therapist.  Very few seem to even know about trigger points.  Even then, they don't know how to treat them.   :emobadmod:

It really seems to be a neglected area.   : :( :

db

augoldminer

Does Fibro:
1) Continue to get Worse over time;
2) Stays the same;
3) Can stay the same if you manage it;
4) Can get better;

All the above.

With me it got worse over time till i got meds for it then over years it got better
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

mloved

My first 10 yrs was the worst, intense, in bed-dark-room, most of the week.  My daughter, similar.  Even with the pharmas, which did help a lot.

Implemented 180' behavioral modification - required strict discipline for us.  Doing something the old way, including any high stress episode, can set us back for months to a yr+.  Learned the hard way over and over.  Tried many, many things - still do.  Kept the ones that worked.   Gradually got better the next 11 yrs, but at a decent plateau for us both.  Was able to reduce my pharma dosages, and eliminated others.
Not my will, but Thy will be done

Imagine - John Lennon

Groundhog Day - the movie

Where the mind goes, the body will follow

ronr

Depends which side you part your hair on. 

Seriously though...
What caused the FM, how bad it is, what you do for it, how well it's controlled etc. have bearing on this.  Many variables go into how the future goes.

Lots of guys delay admitting there is a problem which allows it to worsen before diagnosis and potential treatment. 

It can be controlled to some extent but it requires total lifestyle change for most of us and that takes a while for us hard headed types to learn.

Many complain of it moving around and fluctuating in intensity.  Your activities and whatever triggers flares are factors to consider there. 

It doesn't kill you and it can get better as you learn those triggers and how you must compensate to live without agitating it.  (Too frequently if you are like most of us.)
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

looneylane

I am more active now than when first diagnosed but far less than I was ten years go...My flares are consistent just have new symptoms related to new problems. Fibro causes my  nerve issues to feel multiplied so it really is an individual process with varying outcomes so take steps to limit detoriation if you can by keeping as mobile as possible without causing flares

foxgrove

Hmmm... the answer has so many sides that I don't think just 4 questions could cover it.  From a personal standpoint, it's done several of those things.  I got much better than I had originally been after learning to use my spoons properly and regiment my output.  I've gone through several flares which seem to take me down and then I have to fight back to where I was.  Sadly, the last year has left me bedridden due to the pain levels (it got worse in the fall.. or maybe it was the spring of last year) and that has caused me to lose all of the progress I had made and more mainly due to muscle atrophy and constant knotting. 

However, I expect that once this flare decided it's had enough of me, I'm right back on the track to improving my situation.  Once I can use my energy to improve my flexibility and endurance again, I've got the skills and knowhow to make marked strides toward where I was before this flare took me.

It's a very cyclic thing.  I expect that it will always be this way.  The trick is to know in your heart that there will be a time where you can start the climb back up the hill instead of always hanging on with everything you've got just to keep from sliding further down.  Better days are coming... we just have to be patient and do what we can while we wait.

ps.. started back into my TaiChi this week.  I'm feeling the burn but good but I'm going slow at it and every little bit counts... Couldn't do that last month!!  :great:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Barberian

Quote from: foxgrove on October 26, 2015, 11:33:07 PM

ps.. started back into my TaiChi this week.  I'm feeling the burn but good but I'm going slow at it and every little bit counts... Couldn't do that last month!!  :great:

clapping hands

looneylane

spurgeon

Great to hear, Foxgrove!

And thanks for everyone who shared!
Rev 21:4 - "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

denny

I have steadily gotten worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worseand :pals:
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk