News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

On And On It Goes

Started by countryboy, November 26, 2015, 04:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryboy

Bought a cell phone for my brother a couple of years ago thinking that he might call more often.  He lives 300 miles South of us and he is the only living relative down there still.  It seemed to work for a while, we would talk most every week.  Then it started to stretch into weeks and finally months.  A couple of months ago, I called him and told him that if he didn't call us at least every other week, I was going to stop making the monthly payments.  The phone was cheap and I blocked the internet so all he can do is call or text.  He can't text because of his tremors and now I am starting to get them real bad in both hands.

He drove up here today to spend Thanks Giving with all the family.  I finally sat him down and talked to him and made him unload what was going on.  He is a bachelor and is one year older than I am.  He is almost 73.  He told me that he hasn't felt too good these last few months and has lost quite a bit of weight.  His Dr. took chest X-rays and sent him to another Dr. because he found a bright spot in his left breast.  The new Dr. did an MRI and found that he has Male breast cancer.  The MRI showed that it hadn't spread from what they could see.

He has to be back down there next Monday for surgery.  They are going to do a mastectomy of his left breast.  The Dr. said that they would remove the nipple and then peal all the tissue of the full breast back and remove all the fibers and as much tissue as they can in hopes of getting it all.

There are two things that bother me about all that he has said.  First he says that he goes in at 9 Mon morning and will be released by 5 the next afternoon.  He was told that he would need someone to drive for him for the next week to 10  days.  Also he would need to have someone available to change the bandages the following day which would be on Wednesday.  After that he was to go into the Drs. office every other day to have the bandage changed for the next couple of weeks.  They told him that there was an 70% chance that they would be able to get all the cancer with just one operation.

Next, they told him that this Male breast cancer is very hereditary and that I should be told to get ahold of my Oncologist and get an MRI done immediately.  Well, you can imagine how that made me feel after having prostate cancer 20 years ago and currently dealing with bladder cancer. 

We have been hounding him to move up here closer to us for the past 11 years, but he says that he has lived down there for the last 71 years and won't move now.  It's not like he has lots and lots of friends, in fact he lives almost like a hermit.  He does nothing but watch TV and read.  His biggest form of exorcise is to walk down the street to the mail box.  He only weighs about 145 now and he was at 197 at this time 18 months ago.  He is a vet but hasn't been to a VA clinic in over 15 years.  We talked him into going into the newly remodeled VA clinic 2 years ago, but they told him that he would have to start all his testing over again which is what we knew.  The problem is that they told him that they couldn't work him in for at least 12 to 14 months down the road.  They said that when they remodeled the clinic and brought on 2 more Drs. that their patient load almost tripled. 

I can't be down there with him for his surgery and I go in for another angio cardiogram on Monday that has been scheduled for 2 months and then I have another chemo treatment on Tuesday.  HIs only income now is SSA as he was only in the Navy for 4 years.  He took out a reverse mortgage against my advise about 10 years ago when the R/E values were booming.  He borrowed enough to have all new windows installed, have the house insulated and new siding installed.  So, now he is more or less treading water with the value assessed on his home.  Selling would not give him much if any money for a down payment up here.  He rolled his retirement into an IRA and that is under $50,000.  He couldn't make the monthly mortgage payments with his only income of SSA of $1540 each month.

Ever feel like you were on a flying trapeze that was about 100 ft tall with no net?   :yikes:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

Robby

I know that feeling well. all of you are in my prayers I wish I was close enough to help, please keep us updated.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

denny

Praying for a good outcome for you both.
  :smiley praying: ::Amen::
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

looneylane

foxgrove

It never seems to rain gently in your neck of the woods... always flooding in the forecast.  I wonder if it's just the nature of the mountains.  I sure do hope things work out for your brother and for you health wise... wow, breast cancer.  That blows.  You certainly don't need to be worrying about that on top of your mountain sized medical file.  Sheesh... did someone call for a trainwreck???

I'll be most certain to be sharing this with the Lord on a regular basis.  :bighug:  Take care and watch your step.  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

countryboy

As always,  thanks for your prayers and support.

Had 17 people here for Thanks Giving dinner today and I am wiped out.  7 of those were grandkids and 5 were screaming girls ages 12 to 4.  Time for a pain pill and bed.   :pals:

denny

Only 3 kids at our place-let me tell ya,that was enough! : :( :
I took double pain meds to get thru the day and now I regret it :giveup:
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Lonesome George

We had 26 here, and a couple of the young boys are some of the wildest, meanest, on earth. After I had spent a few minutes each day most of the week and a couple hours before everyone showed up getting everything set up and cleaned, I was hurting, totally exhausted, and shaking like a Chihuahua outside in January in Alaska.

I fixed a very strong drink, sat in the corner in my recliner, and didn't paticularly know about any wildness until my wife told me about it later. Fixed the drink much stronger than I thought apparently.

countryboy

I should have done the same thing L. George, but it would have knocked me out completely for a day or so.   :giveup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk