News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Gardening Season - 2016

Started by Barberian, December 31, 2015, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denny

I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Barberian

I am way ahead of where I was last year at this time. Most of the garden is weeded well, but not perfect. I have plants and seeds down. I have somewhat of a plan. I have compost added and turned in with the soil, and more I will add later on top of the soil. The beds will help keep the water where I want it. This will help reduce the amount of water I use.

I have 2 beds framed out and the third will be done tmrw if all goes well.  The beds are 8'x4' spaced 18" apart. I have the compost and sand down for the third bed. Once I frame it out, I'll turn the dirt/compost/sand. The stakes you see in the picture are just placeholders for now. I will put thicker stakes in the corners later to keep the frames in place and they will be cut down to the frame level.

I have the goji berry sticks, peas, and purple, red and white potatoes down in the first bed. The goji sticks are already sprouting leaves. I dug one up to give to a church lady that gives us some of her excess fruits and nuts. I expected it to have roots because the top was starting to grow leaves. It didn't have any roots yet  : :( :

Walla Walla Sweet Onions and sunflowers are in the second bed. I love the Walla Walla Sweet Onions. The far side of the second bed still needs to be planted. I'm not sure what will go there yet. I'm thinking of putting corn there. The corn and sunflowers both being tall should get along well. I will put beans along the outside edge for the nitrogen fixing from legumes not to mention the beans as well. I will plant beans or some legume wherever I can fit them in for the nitrogen fixing.

I have room for two or three more beds. I can't remember by eyeballing it, and haven't measured it out yet.

The compost piles are currently where the fourth bed will go. I haven't decided where I will move them to. I have last years compost, and a new pile started this year that should be done for next year.

The Mrs. won't give up on making me plant some zucchini, squash and such. I REALLY don't want to but marriage is a compromise, and I don't want to fight over it, so.... I'll probably plant those in the third bed. I am hoping that with the added compost and such the plants will be stronger and resist the mildew or whatever is killing them off in summer. I don't water the foliage, and it is hot and dry all summer long so I know I'm not causing it from watering wrong.

We are pretty much past the frost season, but last week it got down to 32-33 at night. I don't want to do all this work over and over so I'll wait a week or two before I plant frost sensitive plants.

I grew up in Walla Walla Wa where the onions are native there. Yes... there is a real city and county called Walla Walla. Being able to find seedlings sets here in Ca is great I think. There is only a small section of Walla Walla county that can officially call their onions Walla Walla Sweet Onions when they sell them. Kind of like certain regions can be the only place to call their wines, whiskeys and such a certain name.

Wikipedia

The Walla Walla Sweet Onion is another crop with a rich tradition. Over a century ago on the Island of Corsica, off the west coast of Italy, a French soldier named Peter Pieri found an Italian sweet onion seed and brought it to the Walla Walla Valley. Impressed by the new onion's winter hardiness, Pieri, and the Italian immigrant farmers who comprised much of Walla Walla's gardening industry, harvested the seed. The sweet onion developed over several generations through the process of selecting onions from each year's crop, targeting sweetness, size and round shape. The Walla Walla Sweet Onion is designated under federal law as a protected agricultural crop. In 2007 the Walla Walla Sweet Onion became Washington's official state vegetable. Walla Walla Sweet Onions get their sweetness from low sulfur content, which is half that of an ordinary yellow onion. Walla Walla Sweets are 90 percent water.

Barberian

I read and reread this many times as usual (OCD tendency). I must be more tired than I realized because I'm having a hard time following my own writings. I hope you all can follow it.

I finished the third bed yesterday and prepared the dirt for the fourth bed today. Damn it is surprising for me to discover how much work just a little 4'8' bed can be now days. I can't get more redwood 2x4's until the first of next month. It will be in the high 60's, low 70's this next week. I'm pretty sure we are out of the frost season. I have a very strong feeling we will have a very early summer again this year. It is already in the mid 90's in S California this last week. In mid Feb. Unreal. :yikes:

I haven't planted anything else except a almond seed that had germinated in my compost pile and an olive branch I hope will root and grow. The olive branch is far shorter than ideal, but it's donor plant was on the VA hospital grounds. Out of respect I only took a small branch that would/should be trimmed off anyway.

I was looking at pictures of the garden last year. I'm a couple weeks ahead of where I was last year, with much less work to do. I have FAR less grass and weeds to pull and I already have some crops down. Also this years garden is FAR more organized than last year's. The planting beds are pretty level and even. When I water this year, it should stay with the crops instead of wandering all over the paths and such. Turning the dirt elevates the beds which made it hard to keep the water on them without this years boarders.

I know many are in too much pain to do anything. But for those who can, I hope this thread is inspiring anyone who can, to at least have a tomato in a pot on the porch if not a whole garden.

denny

Having a heat wave for sure. Wow! :yikes:
Soon be cold again though so prepare.
I like your beds. I was thinking about brodcasting vegies into the plant beds this year...

A seed can be made to sprout sooner by fileing down the husk to let the water in.
Tried and true that one. :biggrin:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

foxgrove

Well, it's nice to know that somewhere, someone is growing things.  :great:  We've officially got another 101 days to go before our first outdoor planting date.  To say you got a jump on us would be a bit of an understatement.  :biggrin:

Keep the pics coming.  All that green gives me something to look forward to. :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

denny

I me t to also say thanks for the sweet onion tip! Definatly getting that on. :biggrin:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Barberian

Well, the Sunflowers, potatoes and Sweet Peas are starting to come up. Waiting on the corn, zucchini and crook neck squash, radishes and some Pinto Beans I have haphazardly placed here and there for the nitrogen fixing/mixed bed.

Here is an article from a FB profile I like/follow for sheet mulching.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/9-easy-steps-sheet-mulching

Barberian

Low maintenance, easy setup. Don't forget to poke a few holes on the bottom side for drainage.

denny

Not real pretty,unless you sell mirical grow :biggrin: but pretty cool none the less! :clapping:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Barberian

Function over form. Pretty is nice, but fresh veggies are better.  :biggrin:

I'm just tossing out ideas for people who don't have the time, energy or ability for a formal garden. They can use the ideas as is, or modify them to their needs, abilities.  One thing among many to consider with these bags is the soil getting too hot in the sun.  :bighug:

Barberian

foxgrove

I love your ingenuity... see past the form to the function.  Not diminishing anything from form but simplicity has always been a beautiful thing to me.  :great:

Foxgrove

Barberian

Quote from: foxgrove on February 20, 2016, 11:43:38 PM
I love your ingenuity... see past the form to the function.  Not diminishing anything from form but simplicity has always been a beautiful thing to me.  :great:

The bags are not mine. Just ran across them on a gardening website. Then I thought of this thread because of it's easy and our problems.

foxgrove

S'ok... you liked it enough to post it.  Kudos are still yours bro. :budy:

Foxgrove

denny

Okay,we chose a spot and bought 3 half wisky barrels to plant in.
We'll need to level the spot and kill the grass with black tarp and river rock.

I've been working for a week and I think I shot my wad.
Yesterday I couldn't drive the shovel into the ground,or hold the hammer to well either.
Time for a break.
I get so into it in spring its impossable to pace myself. : :( :

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk