News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Fibromyalgia genetic link

Started by foxgrove, June 07, 2016, 09:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxgrove

Sounds like our fears have found some traction... researchers have found that the CRP and PTPN11 gene abnormalities are linked to fibromyalgia.  This would make the fibro a genetically passed trait, something many of us have feared would be passed on to our kids.

Interestingly enough, "the CRP C-allele has been associated with higher plasma concentrations of CRP. Our findings, which indicate the C-allele is associated with fibromyalgia, support the conclusions of previous research, and indicate that genetic testing could identify patients at higher risk of elevated CRP levels and fibromyalgia."

CRP is a marker for inflammation, said Ms. Badura, which suggests that fibromyalgia patients may be genetically predisposed to inflammatory processes.

That now makes for a number of physical markers for fibro besides presentation, medical history, and tender point test.  Please note that they have not said in any form that ALL fibromyalgia folk have these genetic markers or that everyone with these markers will end up with fibro, just that deviations in these genes turns out to be an indicator of a higher risk of fibromyalgia.

http://www.painmedicinenews.com/Science-Technology/Article/05-16/Study-Finds-Genetic-Variants-Associated-With-Risk-for-Fibromyalgia/36078/ses=ogst
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Robby

Makes me glad I have no genetic offspring.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

augoldminer

High C reactive protein is common with  autoimmune disorders.

I had high levels with my sarcoidosis
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

db

I get a little confused what the link is between inflammation and fibro.  I think they are not linked but........ it seems my condition is related to immunology.  Just not the inflammation type.  I use to think I new what this meant but now I just don't know how to sort it all out.  : :( :

db

Robby

Quote from: db on June 07, 2016, 01:47:55 PM
I get a little confused what the link is between inflammation and fibro.  I think they are not linked but........ it seems my condition is related to immunology.  Just not the inflammation type.  I use to think I new what this meant but now I just don't know how to sort it all out.  : :( :

db

I was always told fibro did not involve inflammation, it's what separated it from other things such as fibromyostis etc....
/>----------

Barberian

Almost every blood test I've had has had elevated white blood cell count. I have no idea why. I gave up donating blood long before I was diagnosed with fibro because they would reject it afer testing.

foxgrove

I am also more than a little stumped on the inflammation thing.  I've never come up in any of my blood tests as having an inflammatory condition so... ?????  Who knows.  :dunno:

You're right Robby.  That's the distinction that's always been made to me as well.  Sadly, I can't really interpret those results any more than I can fix myself.

Foxgrove

LizardKing

Quote from: foxgrove on June 07, 2016, 10:34:07 PM
I am also more than a little stumped on the inflammation thing.  I've never come up in any of my blood tests as having an inflammatory condition so... ?????  Who knows.  :dunno:

Ok, I tested high on the high sensitivity CRP test, most of my other blood work is normal so I looked into it.
There are two types of tests for CRP and they are not tested in the common CMP blood work most people get.
It is used as a predictor for risk of stroke and heart attack based on the theory that CRP being a marker for inflammation it
is assumed that one has inflammation of the blood vessels and therefore those risks.
It does NOT specifically show inflammation of the blood vessels, it shows there is inflammation SOMEWHERE in the body.
It makes perfect sense for people with FM to have it high, but there are many other conditions that also commonly have high CRP.
Frankly, an awful lot of disease include inflammation of some sort...

denny

I also have a high white cell count.
And enlarged red cells.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

countryboy

My 40 year old daughter was also diagnosed with FM 10 years ago.  She seems to have a little more pain than I do.  Especially in her lower back and shoulders.  But then I don't register to pain very easy.  Very high pain tolerance and require small amounts of pain meds.  ?????????? 
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

foxgrove

Well... praise God for that!!!  Pain is a real issue when it comes to being able to do anything... just wears you right out like a pencil eraser on concrete.  Of course, that means the pain could be high for you as well, your body just adjusts to it better.  Lucky guy.  ;)

Foxgrove

Robby

I "used" to have a high tolerance for pain. But, with my pain levels recently I'm beginning to think I've lost it. Then again my pain may actually be high enough to kill a "normal" person, and I'm just dealing with it really, really well. So I don't know where I'm at now, I just know I want my pain levels to go down.  :giveup:
/>----------

foxgrove

QuoteSo I don't know where I'm at now, I just know I want my pain levels to go down.  
I hear you brother... boy do I ever hear you!  Switch sides, I'll use my hands to paddle on the left for a while so you can switch to the right and rest the other arm. ;)

Foxgrove

denny

Robby,your thoughts mirror my own.

Maybe a lot of us do.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk