News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Neurontin and Lyrica

Started by DEL, June 26, 2016, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEL

See what you guys think...I'm not sure what to believe.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/freedom/articles/neurontin_and_lyrica_are_a_death_sentence_for_new_brain_synapses/

HEALTH FREEDOM NEWS
Neurontin and Lyrica are a Death Sentence for New Brain Synapses
Byron J. Richards, Board Certified Clinical Nutritionist
E-mail Print

Neurontin and its newer more potent version, Lyrica, are widely used for off-label indications that are an outright flagrant danger to the public. These

blockbuster drugs were approved for use even though the FDA had no idea what they actually did in the brain. A shocking new study shows that they

block the formation of new brain synapses1, drastically reducing the potential for rejuvenating brain plasticity – meaning that these drugs will cause brain

decline faster than any substance known to mankind.

The problem of these drugs is compounded by their flagrant illegal marketing. Neurontin was approved by the FDA for epilepsy back in 1994. The drug

underwent massive illegal off-label promotion that cost Warner-Lambert 430 million dollars (the very first big fine for off-label promotion). The drug is now

owned by Pfizer. Pfizer also owns Lyrica, a super-potent version of Neurontin. It has been approved by the FDA for various types of pain and fibromyalgia.

Lyrica is one of four drugs which a subsidiary of Pfizer illegally marketed, resulting in a $2.3 billion settlement against Pfizer.

Even though the marketing of these drugs has been heavily fined, they continue to rack up billions in sales from the off-label uses. Doctors use them for

all manner of nerve issues because they are good at suppressing symptoms. However, such uses can no longer be justified because the actual mechanism

of the drugs is finally understood and they are creating a significant long-term reduction in nerve health.

The researchers in the above study try to downplay the serious nature of the drugs by saying "adult neurons don't form many new synapses." That is

simply not true. The new science is showing that brain health during aging relies on the formation of new synapses. Even these researchers managed to

question the common use of these medications in pregnant women. How is a fetus supposed to make new nerve cells when the mother is taking a drug

that blocks them?

These are the kind of situations the FDA should be all over. As usual, the FDA is sitting around pondering a suicide warning for Lyrica while its off-label

uses include bi-polar disorder and migraine headaches. The FDA is likely to twiddle its thumbs for the next decade on the brain damage issue. Consumer

beware.
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

denny

Isn't gabapenton like those as well?

This is some crap! :emocurse:
As usual the drug co.s is in it for the money.
And the fda?they probably made money too!

And round and round we go.
Its all happened before.
Nothing new under the heavens.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Sleep Mode zZ

Quote from: denny on June 26, 2016, 06:21:54 PM
Isn't gabapenton like those as well?
Neurontin is a brand name of gabapentin.

The study says:
QuoteSince GBP strongly blocks TSP-induced synapse formation within its therapeutic concentration, it is possible that inhibition of excitatory synapse formation is an important mode of its therapeutic action in epilepsy and pain. Reactive astrocytosis is prominent both in epileptic lesions and in the spinal cord after peripheral nerve injury that leads to neuropathic pain (Liu et al., 2000; Ridet et al., 1997). Reactive astrocytes express high levels of TSPs 1 and 2 (Lin et al., 2003). Similarly, upon injury in the spinal nerve, both α2δ-1 and TSP4 genes are upregulated in the spinal cord (Valder et al., 2003; Wang et al., 2002). Increased α2δ-1 levels were shown to lead to enhanced excitatory synaptic transmission and elevated neuropathic pain states (Li et al., 2004; Li et al., 2006). Similarly, there is increased excitation in the epileptic brain (Prince, 1999). All these observations point to the possibility that aberrant excitatory synaptogenesis may contribute to the pathophysiology of neuropathic pain and epilepsy. Thus GBP may act by limiting these excess synapses from forming, a possibility which can now be directly tested in animal models of these diseases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2791798/

The Wellness resources interprets the study as "Neurontin and Lyrica are highly toxic to new synapses". Yes, as much as continence and condoms are highly toxic to unborn babies. Wellness resources says it even in a more alarming way: "Neurontin and Lyrica are a Death Sentence for New Brain Synapses". Yes, as much as continence and condoms are a death sentence to unborn babies.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) inhiibits the formation of some new synapses but do not harm already existing synapses. That inhibition could be harmful in some situations where speedy formation of new synapses is crucial: During pregnancy gababentin and pregabalin could harm the development of the baby; Maybe it also could slow down the recovery process following a stroke?

It's good to keep in mind that many medicines are actually poisons - but they are beneficial in specific situations. For example they can weaken an over-active immune system. But the same medicines can cause developmental disorders for babies when taken during pregnancy...

Lonesome George

The best way I have found to find out how any medication works is to do a search of user reviews.  With the medications mentioned in this post, the majority of people that have been on these meds for 5 months or so have a negative outcome.

The first doctor that tried to get me to take anti-depressants for fibro, and I refused, never got over my refusal.  Over 12 years later he made sure to note in my disability notes that I refused his treatment for me. 

It seems that finally researchers are finding what I found in 2001: That the user reviews for SSRIs and SNRIs for the most part, Is that they do not work for more than a short time, and the side effects are much worse than the benefits in the majority of cases.

Robby

Quote from: Lonesome George on June 27, 2016, 01:22:20 AM
The best way I have found to find out how any medication works is to do a search of user reviews. 

I generally do this myself, but I have to remember not every med works for every person. I will try anything for a short time period, side effects be damned. I want relief and don't care how I get it. Having said that, Neurontin did not do anything for me, however I have been on Lyrica for almost 10 years and it still works wonderfully. Occassionally I will stop taking something for a couple weeks (after titrating off of it of course), I'll stay off long enough to get past the withdrawals, and see if it's still working or not (plus when restarting symptoms should drop), and Lyrica is still just as effective as the day I started it.

I would drink sulfuric acid if I thought it would relieve the pain. I would rather have a shorter life with better quality as to have a longer more miserable life.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

denny

But,at the same time,I don't want to feel a little better if it means I'll be crippled in old age.
If it could fix me I would take it.I have enough short term fixer uppers.

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

hurtingindian

Been on lyrica for many years, honestly I would reather go retarded than live in the pain without it. Ps, my brain mri's show more lesions every 6 mo, been "updated" as to its ms not fibro now by 3 Drs.

Robby

Quote from: hurtingindian on June 28, 2016, 11:05:23 AM
I would reather go retarded than live in the pain without it.

My thoughts exactly, actually my thought is make me comfortable now, and when it gets to where I can't be made comfortable, or just before I can't take care of myself, I will get called out of this body, so I don't really give a care about "the future", as long as I don't hurt now in the present.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

db

I was on 1 or the other or both for over 10 years.  I swear they help like nothing else but I couldn't say they did much for pain.  Then my HMO wouldn't cover the cost for Lyrica which had started to get expensive.  :an eyes popping:

I switched to just gaba but eventually gave that up to.  I still have bad times but I did with the drugs too.  But I don't seem to need them anymore.   :biggrin:

Treating my chronic myofascial pain seems to have paid off.  I still can't stress myself  :emowall:,  but I seem to manage so much better these days.  :1115:  But I'm far from normal.

db  :giveup:

DEL

Lyrica was mentioned as a possibility at the pain clinic; I'll just have to see on my next visit if they were serious or not.
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

denny

I changed my mind.
Only now matters!
I take 1100mg gabapinton per day so far.
I want to see it up to 2100 and beyond if nessiary.

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

foxgrove

Quote from: denny on July 01, 2016, 05:29:53 PM
I changed my mind.
Only now matters!
I take 1100mg gabapinton per day so far.
I want to see it up to 2100 and beyond if nessiary.

Yeah... pain changes a lot of minds.  I can relate!  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Barberian

I was put on Lyica last time I went to the VA funny farm, a few weeks ago. To be honest, I'm not sure it helps with the pain. It does give me a mild high sometimes. I know it is one of those meds that slowly build up in your system before they really become affective. My wife has been on it fore a long time and swears by it. It is in the GABA family. Gabapentin did not work for me, but I was not very good at taking it regularly, but the withdrawal was a mf, that got me taking it within around 2-3 days.

db

If you are taking more Gaba  :yikes:,  I recommend taking in more water.  It is the only drug that seemed to be not effective unless I was well hydrated.   ;)

I even quit taking it the first time because it didn't seem to help.  Luckily, I gave it a second chance.  I'm not sure how I discovered the water requirement. I don't remember much from those days..... :insane:

Years later, the water didn't seem to matter.  Weird, I know.

db  :giveup:

denny

The fatigue is what I want it for and it seems to be working. :biggrin:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk