News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

I'm about to get stupid!

Started by willie, April 23, 2017, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willie

Last year a friend of mine rode his Harley Sportster from Northeast Ohio to Maggie Valley, NC. There's a motorcycle museum there called "Wheels through Time".  He bought a couple raffle tickets and won second prize, $10,000! He bought a new Harley but kept the Sportster too. Next week he is going back again on the new bike and I plan on riding the Sportster down.

We'll see if that bright orange bike is lucky for me too! I plan on buying a couple tickets, but they upped the prizes this year. First prize is a 1949 Harley Panhead, second prize is $20,000, and third prize is $10,000. I would be happy with any of them!!!

I figure if I don't do this now, it will never happen. I sold my last bike about 20 years ago and until recently, hadn't had much opportunity to ride. I've ridden about 350 miles or so in the last 3 weeks and so far it's been nothing but good!!! No pain while I'm riding and no more than usual after a ride. It's about 600 miles one way, and we plan to take two days to get there. We figure about 1500 miles in 7 days.

I'm really looking forward to this! It's one of those "bucket-list" things and I'm not getting any younger, I'm 63, so it's now or never! I'll let you all know how I make out and will try to get some pictures.

foxgrove

Quote from: willie on April 23, 2017, 07:17:35 PM
Next week he is going back again on the new bike and I plan on riding the Sportster down.

Bucket list thing, no kidding!!!  That's an amazing opportunity.  Go, ride, live it up... Wow.  That sounds like so much fun.  A friend of mine (who isn't disabled) went on a huge long tour of the US last year and I followed it with much glee.  Would love to see any and all pics you can manage.  Make sure your buddy gets a good one of you riding past.   :great:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

countryboy

Keep smiling and always keep your bucket list full.  This life as we know it only happens once.    :jawdrop:   :pals:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

denny

Good luck Willie!
Have a blast! ::alien peace sign::
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

ronr

As long as your body will cooperate -- GO !
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Olys45

A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

God created Aircraft Mechanics so Pilots could have hero's too!

wmoore

willie

Thanks guys!! So far the body has cooperated but it doesn't look like the weather will. They're calling for rain and storms on Monday, the day we're supposed to leave. Looks like Tuesday will be dry but temps in the 50's. Instead of taking our time to get down there, now we'll have to make up some time to get to "cabin" we have rented. At least if we make it there on time we can slow down a bit and enjoy the ride.

No matter what happens, this will be a trip I'll never forget. This will either make me want another bike really bad, or finally make me realize that I'm too old for this $hit!!! I'll let you all know how it turns out. ::old man large::

foxgrove

I guess it's a good thing we're wash and wear, huh. ;) :biggrin:  Hope everything works out for you.  Gotcha in my prayers.
:bighug:

Foxgrove

willie

Hi all!! Sorry it took so long to post the results of my trip, kind of lost interest in the computer lately. Anyway, I survived the trip. It was a great time in spite of the weather. We weren't on the road 5 minutes when it started to rain. We were prepared for it and it wasn't bad enough to make us stop. We got out of the rain and then the wind kicked up. Did about 380 miles the first day and felt really good that night and the next morning. The second day was nothing but sunshine and we made the remaining 220 miles to Maggie Valley by early afternoon.

Rode around the area a bit to check out the area. After a good meal and a few beers, called it a day. Getting up the next morning was not easy as I would have liked. It turned cold and rainy, and the fibro reminded me that it was still there so I ended up just taking it easy around the cabin that day. The rest of the crew tried to ride but they hit snow in the mountains and a lot of wind. So I didn't miss anything that day!

We went to "Wheels Through Time", the bike museum, on Friday (it was raining all day) and spent most of the day there. If any of you ever get the chance to go there, it is well worth the time and money! There are more American made bikes there than I knew existed. And they ALL run! The staff there knows all the bikes inside out and the stories of all of them.

We spent the next couple days trying to avoid the rain but managed to enjoy the area. We finally decided to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" on Sunday before heading home. There are 318 curves in 11 miles on the Dragon and it has to be the best ride I've taken! It lived up to all the stories I've heard about it. There are no driveways, crossroads, or businesses on the road so there is nothing to distract you from the ride. You need to focus all of your attention on the road and there are many places that will bite you if you don't. They have the "Tree of Shame" with parts from bikes that didn't make it hanging from it to remind you to pay attention.

We rode about 200 miles that day with a little over 500 miles to go the next day. This is where I got stupid. We tried to make it home in one day. After about 200 miles I started having problems with my eyes. Everything looked smoky or foggy. After we stopped to eat and gas up, everything was normal. At 400 miles I was having more trouble and everything was worse than before. We were only about 100 miles from home and I was determined to get there that day. I got to within 25 miles from home when we came around an entrance ramp to the last road home and directly into the sun and was blind. Everything was white. I somehow managed to get the bike safely off the road but I couldn't see hardly anything at all.

I waited about 15 minutes, the guy I was riding with kept going. He thought I knew a shortcut and went a different way. Called my wife, she was at his house waiting for us, and he was just getting home. He had to drive back to me with my wife so he could take the bike home and she could take me to the hospital.

By the time we got to the hospital, the lights hurt my eyes and I had a terrible headache. After some tests, they said it was some kind of migraine and that I probably wouldn't have another one like that one. They gave me what they called a "migraine cocktail" and that took care of that. Haven't had any more since getting back home.

So I guess I did survive the trip and I'm really glad I went. I just wish I could have made those last few miles home! I did buy my raffle tickets for this year's drawing. The prizes this year are: first prize- 1949 Harley panhead, second- $20,000, third $10,000. I'd be happy with any of them! If I win any of them, there will be a new Harley in my garage!!!

countryboy

Sounds like a wonderful trip that you never will forget.  That includes the bad with the good.   That "Tail of the Dragon" sounds like a cool ride.  Hope for your sake, you or someone got to take some pictures. 

Good luck with the next drawing.  Those prizes sound great.   How are they funded?  just from the sale of raffle tickets?  What do they run?  Oh well if you have the desire and means to do this then more power to you.    :clapping: :clapping:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

looneylane

Awesome! glad you dove in and did it!!

foxgrove

Amazing ride, brother.  I only wish I could have rode wing with you.  Been a long long time since I took a bike out for a long ride.  I still wonder if I have another ride in me.  Darned glad you found out you did.

Don't let the migraine thing freak you out.  I've had ones very similar to that, also had some where my horizon tilted so... glad you had the road sense to be able to stop safely.  :bighug:  Welcome home after a good ride. :great:

Foxgrove

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

DEL

"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk