News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Steve

Started by Firefighter Steve, April 29, 2017, 02:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Steve

I am a 43 year old company officer at a mid sized fire department. I have a supportive wife of 23 years. My story is very similar to the others I have read about here. I feel lucky to have found this wonderful forum. There is such a stigma in my industry that fibromyalgia is not real. It's been almost 2 years now since the symptoms started, it took till last December to rule out myositis as the cause. For some reason I have an elevated CK (non cardiac) and it pointed me down the inflammatory myopathy route. I have some concerns about finishing my career but right now the worst I have had is a 5-10 pain day. Even with the fatigue I can push through and have not lost out on work. It would appear from what I read that this will probably change as time goes on. I did a trial of gabepentin which seemed to work but I hate taking meds unless I have to. I was also under the assumption that gabepentin will require escalating doses until eventually it's effacacy will be gone. I would like to save it for when I'm older or can't cope. I am in a state with legalized marijuana so I am going to try CBD oil and see if it helps. It contains no TCH and has no psychomotor effects (no high). We will see.

I think the mood swings and fatigue are the toughest thing to manage so far. Having a stressful job is probably really not going to make life easy but I am going to try and manage things best I can to get me through to retirement.

I look forward to reading more and interacting here.

Steve

Robby

WELCOME!!! I can only imagine working in a field as macho as firefighting, while fighting this disease. I did work with a volunteer department for a while years ago, and we have at least one more forum member that is a volunteer so your not completely alone here.

Let us know how the mj works for you, I'm hoping it becomes legal nationwide, if it works. I totally understand not wanting to take meds, but don't put it off too long and hurt yourself, just for the sake of not taking it.

Can't wait to get to know you better, see ya around the boards.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

denny

Welcome :biggrin:
Hey steve,good to meet You!
Hope to hear lots more from you.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

wmoore

Welcome FF Steve! Don't put off meds if they can help. Becoming a sparky is no fun. Electrified that is.

ronr

Welcome Steve!

Usually we notice the symptoms more as time goes by. Pushing through and stress MAY make it worse but that depends on your personal reactions, just like if the meds work for you or which one do help. We all progress differently so plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Range of motion type stretches seem to help a great number of us as does heat.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Olys45

A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

God created Aircraft Mechanics so Pilots could have hero's too!

looneylane

Hi Steve! I am a voly Fire rescue tech and current Deputy Chief of our dept. I was diagnosed in 1997/98  Pacing and planning will help manage symptoms to try and extend your career. Nice to meet a fellow FF just not the place I would like it to be..

Firefighter Steve

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice, I certainly need it. Before my journey started with Fibromyalgia asking for help and accepting limitations was not my strong suite. It has provided me with a humbling experience.
I feel truely lucky to have found this community. I will reconsider my stance on using the Gabepentin. I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing information and stories.

-Steve

augoldminer

I take 900 mg of gabapentin and have for over 10 years.
900 mg is still all i can take without side effects and it still works like it did day one.

I was a vol firefighter/EMT when my fibro hit and i link it to the sarcoidosis i have.
But i now believe i have small fiber polyneuropathy instead of fibro or both.
and sarcoidosis is seen in firefighters and EMTs and SFPN is very common with sarcoidosis
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/772864
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2015/04/13/fibromyalgia-small-fiber-neuropathy-and-eye-opening-developments-in-pain-research-an-fm-and-pain-researcher-talks/
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

foxgrove

Welcome to the family Steve, :welcomeani:

Please pardon the delay in responding... it's been one hell of a week!  Sounds like you're getting squared away here.  The folks here are the best you'll find anywhere.. They really care and the best part (or worst part depending on your viewpoint) is that they understand what you're going through 'cause they're in it too. 

Thank you for your service to your community.  Firefighting... that's one heck of a career path you've got there!  I do hope that you're able to continue in it for many years to come.  Finding that balance point is the easier part of this... living it... now that's hard!!  Glad you found us so you can at the very least face it with more folks at your back.  Give your wife and kids hugs from us.  I know how incredibly powerful having them on your side can be.  How marvelous that they've got your back.  :great:

I look forward to getting to know you more.  You're in good hands here and folks will be thinking about you and praying for you... all part of being a big family.  Remember to take each day as it comes and stop to smell as many of the roses as you can.  We'll be here with the lights on to guide the way. :bighug:

Fox :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk