News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Setting fence post

Started by Olys45, June 18, 2017, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olys45

Damn.. now I know why the old Pioneers and settlers were a bunch of hard ass tough SOB's!

I  helped my Father In Law set two fence posts last night... damn I huRT this am!

We did it old school, with a post hole digger / potato digger, the tool you slam into the ground push the two handles apart, pick up what you can, and place it outside the hole, and a hunk of steel called a "spud bar"

Did I mention that their yard used to be a parking lot for decades? When my Father In Law bought it, he brought in a couple of inches of dirt to get some grass growing... so once you get past the first few inches you run into old asphalt, and a ton of rocks...

Oly
A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

God created Aircraft Mechanics so Pilots could have hero's too!

Robby

/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

Old asphalt???  He didn't have it removed first???  That'll sure wake up your bones mighty quick!  I remember learning how to use the spud bar, ours was 6' and solid steel, holding on to it for dear life and hitting a solid chunk of bedrock.  Learned me real quick what you weren't supposed to do!!!  (I think the vibration in my body faded just in time to graduate... a decade later!) :yikes:

Well... glad it's over.  Dude... you've got to be a bunch of bruises living under a think coat of pain.  :'(  Sorry you got roped into that.  I remember growing up doing posts that way until dad relented and bought us a post pounder that rode behind the tractor.  Even then, the occasional one had to be done the hard way... clam shovel, spud bar, and a pickaxe.  sadly, it was generally when the ground was too hard!  :insane:

Rest and heal.  :giveup:  :budy:  :sleep1:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

augoldminer

I did a fence line one time where i used a rock drill to drill the holes over a granite out cropping.
just drilled the holes in the rock and dropped in 1 1/4 inch pipe.

Not near as bad a drilling the holes for 4 power poles.
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

foxgrove

Oy!!!  Around here, they generally sit the poles flat on the granite, drill holes for straps to make sure the bottom doesn't move, and run lines out to more pins drilled in the rock face.  In some places it get's pretty wild!

Gotta admit, those would be some solid fence posts!   :yikes:

Foxgrove

countryboy

When you get real dumb and buy 6X6 posts and your post hole digger only spreads to 6 inches wide, you have a real problem getting those damn square 6X6 posts to go into the 6 inch round hold.  It takes a lot of extra work to make the hole big enough.  It also makes for a whole lot of sore muscles and blisters.  Only had to dig and set 12 of them over a 2 week period.  With a little brain fart and a 6 ft. 1 and 1/4 inch steel bar with one end sharpened to a square flat point, it can be done.

I thought I was getting a good buy on the posts as they were on sale.   Oh well,  the corral worked like a dream.  I put 2 steel T posts 8 ft apart between the 6X6 posts.  And yes they were pressure treated posts.  I used 10 ft wooden posts and sunk them 4 feet.  I''m sure they will still be in good shape back there on the ranch when my grand kids are old.   The wire might need repaired, but the posts aren't going any where.  Those were the good old days when I was young and dumb.  That was 35 years ago.  Now I am old, broken and still dumb.  old-man/cane
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

Robby

WOW! 6x6, really? Your braver than I ever was.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

Olys45

Yeah, last night and this morning when I tried to grab anything bigger/heavier than a beer bottle took some work and/or two hands to make sure that I had a hold of it...

It sucked to take a leak in this condition...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

At least my shoulders and legs are not hurting... and the hurting was due to finding/using muscles that I hadn't used in a while.

Oly
A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

foxgrove

Ouch!!!   : :( :  Darned glad you didn't break your sense of humour in all this.   :biggrin:

Rest... heal... stop hitting things with hammers!!!  ;)

Foxgrove

denny

I rented a gas powered jobby last time. :blush:
I'm through with the pounding.
Rest up oly.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Olys45

Quote from: denny on June 20, 2017, 08:40:57 AM
I rented a gas powered jobby last time. :blush:
I'm through with the pounding.
Rest up oly.

17 years ago when we did his first fence on the other end of the yard when we got out to the alley I convinced him to rent one of them... for two holes it didn't make much sense to drive 80 miles round trip and whatever the cost for rental would be.

Hell, for two holes, since we had the tools already, it wouldn't make much sense to rent one. I just wish the old man had one laying around!

Oly

countryboy

Donn't we all have a similar wish.   old-man/cane
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

denny

Yeah it makes a difference.
I was there and home in about 45 mins.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"