News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Handling pain with touch

Started by foxgrove, June 24, 2017, 09:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxgrove

Just found a really cool study was done to measure if a loving partner's touch helped relieve pain...  and it does!!!  It's a pain relief method that I've long suspected but never proved... Dealing through pain is a challenging thing but it seems it's easier when you share it through touch...

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/touch-can-actually-relieve-pain-romantic-partners-study-says/

Here's the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28607375

Do any of you find this method helpful?
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

denny

I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

db

It is a mystery.  I tried a touch therapy called "Reiki" which involves the startegic placement of hands on the body.  I was surprised how it gave me allot more energy.   :biggrin:  The problem though was my body just can't seem to function any better.  : :( :  I assume the muscle problem from the chronic myofascial pain is the problem.  Still, it was something new. :smiley praying:

db

Robby

I noticed that in the study only the women were subjected to pain. I wonder if it holds true for the man being in pain. I know we hold hands every night when we go to bed, I can't say that I've seen any evidence that it works. But maybe we are just different.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

Yeah... Reiki is an interesting thing.  Historically, I have had very little faith in something where nothing touches me.  Then again, I am not an expert on anything, really.  The world is an interesting place and lots of things that people used to think were impossible have been proven possible so I won't let my skepticism colour someone else's experience. 

I'm glad you went and tried it and felt better afterwards.  Isn't that what relief is all about, after all?  Long lasting relief has always been our Holy Grail hasn't it.  Hard to achieve at any cost.  Hope you're able to get your trigger points to calm down before the cold comes again. :budy:

Foxgrove

ronr

I think the thing with Reiki is that you are transferring energy from one body to help another body just by close association rather than touch.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Upsilon

I'm actually an advanced practitioner of Integrated Energy Therapy (IET) that is really very similar to Reiki. It focuses on relieving bad cellular memory through the four layers of the body's aura (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual), and replacing them with healing energies.

While it sounds really hocus pocus, it really does help. Often times even just me working on another person can help with my symptoms because the energy that is transferred heals everything it touches.

If you can find a practitioner in your area I definitely suggest giving it a try. Sessions are usually fairly cheap and even if you don't get anything else from it, they give you an hour or so to just relax and listen to some soothing music.

Just be sure to let your practitioner know if you have sensitivity to touch like I do in some areas, they almost always accommodate for the individuals needs  :biggrin:

foxgrove

I gotta admit, there's really nothing to lose in trying it other than a few bucks.  Thanks for the info Upsilon.  Not understanding something really shouldn't be an excuse to avoid it.  We don't understand how a lot of things work but we use them daily.  :great:

ps, are you able to make a living at that or is it more of a pastime for you?

Foxgrove

Upsilon

I have made some money from it, but I never went to practicing full time. I don't doubt that I could but it's mostly been a pastime for me.

denny

Lucky S.O. then?
Sure would be a good thing to know.

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

ronr

Can you do it on yourself, where you can reach of course.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

foxgrove

Excellent point Ron.  Absolutely you can massage yourself and I, for one, am a big proponent of taking charge .  Your hands will need time to strengthen to be able to do long massage sessions, plus nobody's arms really work well to massage their back so here's some helpers for massage...
"the original knobbler"
tennis balls (fabulous for areas you can't reach)
massage canes like the "Body Back Buddy", the "Theracane", or the "Backnobber II"
muscle roller sticks
foam massage rollers
precussion massagers like the "Thumper Mini Pro" ( I love mine to bits.  It's 16 years old and still works great)

Basic techniques can be learned so easily.  I found a decent book recently that is only $10 online, "Complete Self Massage Workbook". I got it as I have a couple of spots in my shoulder that really need extra work and I figured I'd do well to find more ideas on how.  I did... and the rest of the book seems right in line with what seems to work for me.  Of course, my main techniques are myofascial trigger point therapy so this was supplemental.  I have a series of books and videos on myofascial trigger points but that doesn't cover all types of pain.  You really need both to cover muscle manipulation.

I know this is likely too much all at once but if you hit a problem you can't figure out, ask.  I bet you'll come up with enough ideas to be able to get that muscle properly massaged.  Let us know how it goes. :budy:

Foxgrove

db

For a while I tried to get as much trigger point release as I could handle.  I'm not sure I really got much better and it was quite painful and exhausting.  I decided that acupuncture would be more effective.  It was hard though, to find an acupuncturist who would focus on the trigger points.  I have a good one now and a couple in the past but I've also had 2-3 x of other ones that just weren't aggressive enough.  It's a tough thing to do but it seemed to be the only thing that resulted in any real improvement.   :yikes:

Sort of like that.

db

denny

Im not sure Kaiser would let me shop around.
The one they sent me to did NOT work out.

I've yet to explore trigger points. The ones I've tried to massage just didn't seem to make any difference.

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

foxgrove

Note that massaging a trigger point won't release it...  It requires one of a few techniques to actually break it up enough for it to actually release.  If you haven't tried any of these techniques, give them a go and see if they work for you:

Kuttner method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBA3wfbil7Y

Trigger Point Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jQmlwaP22c

Kai Wheeler Techniques: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl474z1bhnk&list=PLADkhAGho8Gt2soLEZBIZ-j5DgNtD9XxD

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk