News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

I hate windows 10

Started by augoldminer, September 04, 2017, 01:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augoldminer

My old ASUS laptop started giving me problems first with low memory warnings if i used it for more then a couple hours then just shutting down after around 5 to 10 mins with no warning popups.
now i just have to get my data off my old computer and on my new lenovo idea-pad 320.
and being a windows 10 computer i have no idea how to do it.

Then its try to duel boot the computer with the latest linux mint. Something i never was able to do with my old ASUS R503U laptop.
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

Robby

I'm actually triple booting a W10 pc. This laptop actually came with W8.0, I upgraded to 8.1, and then to 10. I actually like 10 about the same amount as I did XP. Like with anything it takes a little getting used to but once you catch on to the patterns it's really very easy and well laid out. Although it does have a lot of features that I'll never use, but that don't mean you won't.

Give it a chance and I think you'll end up liking it, I don't know many people that don't.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

Fortunately, moving stuff around and finding it has become easier with Win 10 not harder like it's been every time since Win 7... maybe even before that.  Best of luck with the linux dual boot.  :great:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Jason_

I just bought a computer with Windows 10 on it. I really don't like it and I find it creepy that it keeps asking permission to listen to me so it can understand me (not exactly how it's worded but I'm still on my second cup of coffee).
  I like the fact that the printer was easy, all you have to do is plug it in. Lots of programs you can't use well on Linux (Xubuntu on my last computer), but it's still a bit for me to get used to.
  I'm wondering how long this relationship is going to last before I go back to a distro of Linux! Not a Microsoft fan!
Jason

foxgrove

It takes some learning how to shut windows 10's annoyances down to a moderate hum.  I would most certainly start by telling Cortana to shut up!!!  Sorry you ended up stuck having to upgrade.  I imagine most of us will get stuck in the same place at some point.

As a bonus, I can now tell you not to upgrade any office products to 2016 or 365 if you use Outlook... it's a bad scene.  

Foxgrove

tojo

I know that I was the d id not want to upgrade to ten person. I was a huge fan and still am of win7 pro. As far as I am concerned that was the best product that microspalt ever put out. Upgraded to ten because time was up and I really did not see any way that I was going to be able to purchase a copy after the free upgrade went away. I would still be using my win7 pro if the damn company had not held a gun to our heads by deciding to cut off support for win7 right away, forcing folks to upgrade if for nothing else other than protection from threats that a unsupported product can have. In the past they had supported their products for years, but no not now that the "superior" ten had arrived. I do not like the amount of control that we have had to surrender to ten. Even though I have it set where I am supposed to give it the go ahead to update at a certain hour of the day often it is not the case and I will be working on something and poof the screen goes back. I have had this happen on a few laptops in the past and it meant that the display had just crapped out. So every time that win 10 decides to install and update and restarts my computer with no warning I am like "Oh no, not again I can't afford a new laptop. Then the stupid thing will come back on and most of the time my work is lost, thanks to microspalt.

My tower that has the little something is going on in the background circle thing only going on came with 7, 8 and whatever the 8 final was so I could have upgrade to 10 easily before the expiration year of free win 10. I decided that once it started stuck n the busy circle thing that I was going to figure that out and fix it and then reinstall win7 pro and just keep as an "offline only" machine. I bought the "super" computer (over a grand after customization's) to do graphics and website work so that is what it can be used for and other things that I like to do with a computer just all of them offline with only the programs themselves to work with. If I need anything from the net I will just use the ap and then put it on a jump drive, or an external if the jump is not large enough and then transfer it to the tower.

All and all I cannot complain to much about ten other than the lack of certain controls that I really hated letting go of and the access that microspalt has to what is in my computer (which is why there are a lot of things that will never see the inside of my 10 machine) I really do not have any problem with the system. It seems to be as stable as 7pro was. But like brother Fox there is so much that I will never use that it is just what I c0onsider wasted expense on things that I personally would not pay for if I had the choice. But then I wish that cable had gone to "pick what you want" and only pay for that. Cable might have ad a chance then, but they did not believe that so many of us would leave them behind cutting the cable. They are lucky that we need them to get our internet access from or they would have been left with nothing.

Ut oh, getting scatter all over the place again so I will stop here. Win 10 not that bad after all, stable but with too many thing that were had to surrender to microsplat and yes I do most of the time refer to them as that.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

Jason_

Lol, I just read my post, Windows 10 didn't even survive a week and back to linux I went!
Jason

tojo

Howdy Jason and Happy New Year to you and yours,

I used to do the Linux thing, and that may be a great idea for the machine I was talking about that has that damn little dotted circle going round and a round and around... I used to run Linux with a ... can't remember what it was called, but it allowed me to have a Windows operating system inside my Linux. Windows did not know any better and was not the wiser to have a clue that it was inside another operating system . While Linus was protecting my machine from all of the internet nasties.  I was able to run any Windows program that I wanted, just installed it and it was none the wiser as well. You have give me a lot to think about but I think I am already leaning way way to the Linux side. Just need to bring the tower to the new place and get past that damn little circle. I think I may be able to try and boot it up in safe mode, if it will do that. That stupid circle starts up awfully fast when you hit the button LOL But then that is the wonderful thing about using Microsplat, you just never know what new little entertaining thing will happen ;)

Well once again, Happy New Year, may your 2019 be better than any other year you have had.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

foxgrove

:lmao: :clapping:  Nicely done, Jason, my brother.  :clapping:  :emolaugh: 

I've been beaten so badly by Microsplat in the last few months that I'm more than ready to tell everyone too bad, no more Gates on our windows.  :biggrin:

Quote from: Jason_ on January 01, 2019, 11:56:48 AM
Lol, I just read my post, Windows 10 didn't even survive a week and back to linux I went!

Tojo, didn't you used to use a WINe program on on of the Linux flavors... can't remember which flavour for some reason.

Foxgrove

Jason_

Quote from: tojo on January 02, 2019, 05:13:04 AM
Howdy Jason and Happy New Year to you and yours,

I used to do the Linux thing, and that may be a great idea for the machine I was talking about that has that damn little dotted circle going round and a round and around... I used to run Linux with a ... can't remember what it was called, but it allowed me to have a Windows operating system inside my Linux. Windows did not know any better and was not the wiser to have a clue that it was inside another operating system . While Linus was protecting my machine from all of the internet nasties.  I was able to run any Windows program that I wanted, just installed it and it was none the wiser as well. You have give me a lot to think about but I think I am already leaning way way to the Linux side. Just need to bring the tower to the new place and get past that damn little circle. I think I may be able to try and boot it up in safe mode, if it will do that. That stupid circle starts up awfully fast when you hit the button LOL But then that is the wonderful thing about using Microsplat, you just never know what new little entertaining thing will happen ;)

Well once again, Happy New Year, may your 2019 be better than any other year you have had.

Happy New Year to you as well TOJO. Linux is getting better and better with printer drivers and software. My only issue is our little LED sign in the front of the church. The program will run in WINE, but it won't recognize the usb drive to put the new message on. My son is die hard windows so I guess it's not that big a deal.
Jason

Jason_

Quote from: foxgrove on January 02, 2019, 02:52:09 PM
:lmao: :clapping:  Nicely done, Jason, my brother.  :clapping:  :emolaugh: 

I've been beaten so badly by Microsplat in the last few months that I'm more than ready to tell everyone too bad, no more Gates on our windows.  :biggrin:

Quote from: Jason_ on January 01, 2019, 11:56:48 AM

Tojo, didn't you used to use a WINe program on on of the Linux flavors... can't remember which flavour for some reason.

Yeah, once you leave windows and get used to the Linux way of doing things it makes life easier!
Jason

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk