News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Just Checking Back In Since It's Been A While

Started by Lonesome George, September 16, 2017, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome George

Just a note to let everyone know I'm still around.  I log in a read when I can, but usually too exhausted to post anything. I've noticed a few of the regulars are not posting much either, so they must either be having a hard time or feeling better, the latter I hope.

I'm still working, in fact I have been working too much this year, as the work has been covering us up. By the time I get home I can barely limp in, eat, then pass out until bed time. It's not good for me, but while I am still able to, I need to try to catch up on bills from the years I couldn't work.

I've been at home for over two weeks.  I pushed myself too far and had a serious gout attack in my left foot.  It affected my big toe, across the top of the toes, my under-arch, and ankle. Cane and crutches to get around, when I could stand my foot below my heart level.

The doc gave me a 10 day course of Prednisone, and some antibiotics.  Still very sore, but going to try to work on Monday.

I must say, the Prednisone has done wonders for my fibro. I am in the least pain and have the most flexibility I have had since the mid 1990's. I am seriously considering going on a low dose, (5mg or less a day), for a few months to see how it goes.  From what I have read, a dose this size is quite safe for most people, and usually gives some relief.

I've taken so many NSAIDS daily in order to work that my blood work is screwed up, so I really need to do something different and lay off them while I try to get my blood back to somewhat normal. The NSAIDS have left my legs and feet swollen, blotchy and bruised from thin blood

I stopped all NSAIDS almost two weeks ago, I have lost the swelling and the places are all returning back to almost normal. The smaller size of my feet, legs, and waist is amazing.  I knew I was retaining a lot of fluid, but I didn't know just how much.

Has anyone tried a low dose steroid therapy for any length of time with success? I don't want to give up feeling so much better.  If I can survive on Prednisone for appx two years I can retire. Actually I can next year, but want to go two more for the extra monthly income from waiting. 

I've decided if I have 15 bad hurting years left, and this med can give me 10 or so pretty good ones, I'm willing to make the trade.

Thanks for reading this.

Robby

Prednisone is wonderful for fibro, why someone hasn't studied the correlation I don't know.

It's great your still working. I hope you can last as long as you want. Here's hoping your blood work straightens out soon.

I'm not posting like I was, I'm just not mentally up to it because of how I feel physically. I hope I can get back to where I need to be very soon. 
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

denny

Hey LG!
Thanks for checking in,I wish everyone would do that.

Steroids agitate me just a hair too much :emocrazy:
Bad ju ju.  ;)

Good luck,best wishes.
Be WACB!
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Lonesome George

I've worked the past two days after the time off sick.  I was weak from laying around for so long, but........for the first time in 20+ year I can get in and out of the truck, walk, step up, ect, without my knees killing me.

I still have not taken anything for pain in two weeks, and don't need to!!! I have reduced my prednisone to 10mg a day total, 5 in morning and 5 in evening.  In a few days I'm trying for 5 total, then hopefully 2.5 a day.

Usually I have to latch onto the grab handle and lower myself slowly one step at a time out of the truck, then hobble for about 50' before I can stand straight.  Monday I was out of the truck about 20 times with zero pain in my knees at all.

I wish I had tried this years ago.  A rhumey tried to get me to take if a few years ago as a test, but I was afraid to do it.  Boy, did I mess up.  Right now the fibro pain is under control, I assume also from the prednisone.

After another week of experimenting, I am hoping I can get by on 2.5 to 5mg a day, or every other day. Then I will go to my doc and make my case for him to prescribe this to me on a regular basis and let him monitor my blood and vitals on a schedule.

Hopefully what I am trying can help someone here to be able to break free of at least some of the pain and exhaustion.  I honestly was almost to the point of not being able to go before I tried this.  I was ruining what health I had, and hurt so bad I could hardly stand it. I was working on exhaustion and will power.

Will do my best to keep this updated on the good and the bad, if any bad should come of it.

denny

Steroids make your body think it's doing better
coaxing it to heal.
Possibly could damage yourself if not careful.

Just saying,don't make it do anything it's not prepared for. :biggrin:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

looneylane

I check in once in a while myself. Hope everyone is doing good!  :bighug: :bighug:

foxgrove

:bighug:  Welcome home George!!! :bighug:

It sounds like you're doing great... dang, you're seriously making my week!  God is good all the time!!!  :great:  :clapping:

As for Prednisone, you're doing it perfectly.  I found out about the safety levels of that one when I was put on it as there was a lot of scare at the time about bone loss and Cushings disease.  A daily dosage under 5mg is what you want to get to.  I've been on a similar glucocorticoid (Avamys) for my sinuses going on three years now on a very low dose and everything is going well.  It's still working well at the same levels and I'm not suffering from any steroid related issues.  I hope that you are able to stay off the NASIDs... we know how bad those are.

So glad to hear that you're still in the seat and the rubber is still hitting the road.  Gotcha in my prayers, brother.   :pals:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Lonesome George

Time for another update on the prednisone.  I am down to 5mg a day, and have been for almost two weeks.  I don't feel as great as I did at 20 to 30 mg, but I didn't expect to.

On the plus side, my vision has improved. I don't know if it is the prednisone or getting off all the NSAIDS. I do know I was having a hard time focusing, and now I can see clearly.  The inflammation I had is still under control.  The psoriasis has all but disappeared, and other inflammatory problems have gone away. I also have lost weight and have gotten stronger. I can lift things much easier.

The gout in my toe made the rounds in several places on my foot, and settled into my right knee, though not as bad as my foot. It's getting better also.

As far as fibro, I still have fatigue, but very much less, and almost no fibro pain unless I really overdo it.  I have only taken one Tylenol since I last posted.  I am actually sleepy around 10pm, and usually in bed by 11, and asleep very shortly after.  I wake up a couple of times for bathroom trips, but I am sleeping the best I have in 20 years.

I also have been able to stop taking the antihistamine I have had to take for hives daily since 2005. I assume the steroid is taking care of  it.  I also have not had to drink anything for pain relief so I can sleep. It seems really strange to only take two pills a day after all I was taking to barely get by.

I still haven't been back to my doctor.  I want to have several weeks under my belt to make sure this isn't a fluke.  This hasn't been a cure by any means.  I'm still tired, I get sore, and I still have some knee pain when driving I didn't have on a high dose.

I have had fibro since the late 90's, and I am now in my early 60's, so I can't expect to feel like I did in my 40's. All in all, I wish I had tried this years ago.

Will post again with more updates, good or bad.

Robby

That all sounds good. Of course some of it could be better, but overall it's an improvement. Do keep us informed, I don't see my dr going for it, but I can hope.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

denny

Heard too many horror stories and have some of my own.
Good Luck and proceed with caution.

Cool it's doing good so far though. :blue thumbs up:

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

foxgrove

I'll bet you have some pain in your knee when you drive... That's your gout knee!!  Yikes, that's gotta add some interesting feelings when you have to pump the brakes hard.  Insanely glad to hear your symptoms have abated for the most part.  That's fabulous news, brother.  Keep on keepin on and know we've got your back. :bighug:

Foxgrove

Lonesome George

Way past time for another update, so here goes.

I'm still working, and still taking prednisone.  I am positive that if I wasn't taking it I wouldn't be working at all. I'm having a lot of aches and pains, mainly in my muscles, as it appears my fibro is reactivating itself. I also had to go back on the antihistamine shortly after my last post.

There are a few reasons I believe I am hurting more and am very tired all the time.  As stated earlier, I believe the fibro is going through a flare.  Also, I had to cut the prednisone down to 2.5 mg per day.  That made a big difference in the way I feel.  I have IBS, and at 5 mg, I was having flare ups of that, which is not good when you're out in a truck with no bathroom close.

Second, I and going to be 62 in several weeks.  Time has a way of wearing us down.  Thirdly, I have been working between 50 and 60 hours a week, M-F, then mowing and working around the house on Saturday.

I am seriously considering taking Social Security after the first of the year, then cutting back to being a fill in driver instead of doing what I am.  The only reason I am able to do what I am now is because I have been given a much newer truck with an automatic transmission.  This has made my days much easier.

Driving a large dump truck around the mountains all day hauling asphalt and stone is a lot more work and stress that it would seem.  Driving over the road was easier.  So, I feel I am doing better than could be expected considering where I started at two years ago.

All in all this has been a tough season, but I still firmly believe the only medical reason I can work is the prednisone.  So far I have seen no ill effects from using it except for the irritation of IBS, but I had that anyway. I haven't added any new meds to my regiment, and have cut back on some.

Believe me, I'm far from cured, but I have been allowed to go back to work and be able to keep bills paid and put some money back, which was definitely not the case when I was flat on my back on the sofa.

I hope this info helps someone who is thinking about a steroid treatment.  I would recommend trying it at low doses after an initial higher dose to calm down the inflammation.

I hope everyone is doing well.  I also hope to have time this week to catch up on post I've missed.  

Good luck and good health to everyone.

foxgrove

:bighug:  Missed you brother!!!  :bighug:

Dang good of you to catch us up.  You kinda blew me away when you said you're still behind the wheel.  That's terrific, though I can't fathom how you're able to do full time plus and still mow something on the weekends.  I'm guessing you're kinda snoozing a bit behind the wheel of your mower... please tell me it's not a push jobby!!!  That's simply fabulous.  Good for you!  So glad the prednisone worked so well for you. 

Hows the wife and family taking to having dad gone all week?  I guess it's just another one of those adaptations we all have to make but I couldn't stand to be away from my sweetie for that long... then again, after today's row, maybe it would smooth some thing out for me to be gone for a few days.  You know how life goes.  :yikes: 

In any case, damn good to see you.  Drop in any time and catch up.  Life here is same ol same ol except that I no longer have any kids in highschool.  Now it's college bills all over again. Yeah... life.  Gotcha in my thoughts and prayers.  Be well and keep the rubber on the right side of the rig!  :budy:

Foxgrove

Lonesome George

Thanks Fox.  I'm not away from home at night.  I usually get to work between 6 to 7am, and back home between 6 to 7pm, occasionally 8. My wife gets home between 5:30 to 6:30, so we are home around the same time.

As far as mowing, no way I could push mow.  My legs are too weak and hurt too much.  I have a zero turn rider. That's the only way I can keep this yard mowed.  It's got quite a few years on it though.  I bought it 18 years ago when fibro was making it too hard to mow with foot pedals and a steering wheel.  Right now the shrubs need trimming, house needs pressure washing, and the yard needs mowing, and I still don't feel like doing it.

How are you doing?  Had your pain eased off any?  As far as rows go, with me it's easy to get into one when I'm in a lot of pain as I get more grouchy than usual then.  Heck I can make her mad when I feel good.  lol

I don't know what I would do with those college bills.  The cost of school here in the US is out of control. My son is looking at college bills for his children very soon, like next year, with two more going every two years after that one.

It's good to hear from you.  I hope everyone in your family is doing well.  I hope to be able to check in more often.

foxgrove

So far, pain's the same.  My ability to deal with it and work past it has gotten mildly better.  For the main part, things haven't changed much.  Some med changes but nothing huge or terribly effective.  I'm hoping for even a touch of the kind of change my son experienced when he went on gabapentin.  Migraines went from daily to once every week or so... and he's chemically sensitive like me! 

All in all, we're doing great.  The college bills will likely end up being student loans and getting the extended family involved for fundraising.  My two oldest are both out of secondary education so it's just the boys now.  We'll survive.

:bighug:  Pass it on to your family from us.

Fox

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk